SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been chasing a grinding issue coming from my brakes when braking from less than 30 mph when I finally got the lightbulb moment where I realized it is the ABS coming on for no reason! I confirmed this by pulling the ABS fuse and the problem went away.

Anyone experience this before? I have no error codes, no dash codes, no ABS light, and tech 2 seems to show that all the speed sensors are working fine, but I did only test it by moving back in forth in my parking lot, less than 8 mph.

I took off the passenger wheel and the sensor did look pretty dirty but it is in a prime dirt spot....I took the 10mm bolt off and tried to take the sensor off to clean it but it would not budge. I can't tell if anything else is keeping it in

Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I never experienced this in a Saab, but did in a Merkur back in the 90s. Since that was back in the days of discrete wiring, I was able to backprobe the ABS controller and see the frequency of the signal coming into the controller from each of the wheel sensors and found that the frequency of one of them was different. In my case, the ABS would engage at higher speeds rather than lower. It turned out that the sensor itself wasn't bad, but that some metal shavings had gotten into the wheel bearing (bearing was okay) where the toothed wheel was captive (the merkur ATE design was fully enclosed), and the metal shavings were messing up the hall effect in the sensor.

I cleaned the toothed wheel, stuffed a bunch of fresh grease down in it, and it never gave me another lick of trouble.

I suspect (hope?) that a Tech2 would take the place of backprobing the sensor wires now. I also think that 9-5 design is open so you can see what's going on rather than closed like the merkur system. From this picture in the WIS, it looks that way (see the toothed ring?) https://saabwisonline.com/images/9600/img-e5/e521r069.jpg

To remove – 9-5 2006 | SAAB Workshop Information System Online describes the procedure for removing one of the from wheel sensors. For removing the sensor it basically says, "remove the bolt and remove the sensor". When I did this on the merkur, I had to rotate the sensor in the bearing carrier, and it was pretty sticky in there. Maybe try using a spark plug boot removal pliers if you have one? Or put a towel around it and give it a rotational wiggle?

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is a pretty common issue on older GM trucks. I would check the abs reluctor rings on each corner. If they are rusty/dirty/etc it can disrupt the sensor readings and cause abs to act up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had the issue with my right front caliper occasionally braking (less than two seconds) on my '02 Aero.
.Only fix was to get a replacement assembly from Goldwing Saab.
Had to have it married to the car, however be certain that the person marrying the unit has a high level of experience with this procedure.
The first shop I went to was less than experienced and I ended going to a Saab tech with over 40 years of experience (JG Saab Service) and he was able to complete the procedure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts