SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
I'm afraid that 88-89 ECUs were different from lates ones, bucause they weren't able to store fault codes, while later could. Not sure if they are interchangeable, though.

Are you sure your problem is the ECU? 90% of the times it's a front wheel sensor. Do you have the yellow "anti-lock" light on? I have not heard of many ABS ECUs going bad.

·
Banned
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the yellow ABS light is on, whats this front wheel sensor and how do I fix it....

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
You usually don't fix it, you change it...

Remove a front wheel, you see something bolted to the hub with a wire coming out if it, the wire runs next to the brake hose then disappears on the wheel well. That's the wheel sensor, you need to unbolt it from the hub then remove the wheel weel cover, disconnect the wire (the connectors are in the aquarium, at the two very ends) then pull the sensor out.

They're about $130 each from a Saab dealer, if you want to change only one, the passenger side is usually the one that goes bad first.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
just for the record you can fit the later ecu to the early cars and then pull out fault codes, but it is complecated to do that

They're about $130 each from a Saab dealer, if you want to change only one, the passenger side is usually the one that goes bad first.

ususally you will need to replace the sensors in pairs as the magnte inside deteriorates and this is what sets the light on, if you put a new sensor on one side the old sensor that hasnt be replaced will show a weak sygnal so the light can stay on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts