SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed many HID kits on many different cars. I just bought a 2004 Saab 9-5 and installed HID's in it and the ABS, Brake, TCS, and Central Warning lights all came on... However... When I start the car with the emergency brake on and dont touch the brake (5spd) the lights dont come on.. only when I release the parking brake OR press VERY FIRMLY on the brakes, the lights then come on and wont shut off.. the HIDS are installed in the FOG lights and they dont have to be on for the lights to be on.. Anyone else have this issue? any help would be greatly appreciated..:p

·
Registered
386 Posts
Aftermarket HID ballasts can cause this a lot with the EMI they emit because they aren't shielded like OEM ones are. If they're at all close to the ABS module the EMI basically disables the module. Try relocating the ballasts and I bet itll go away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had removed them completely and reset the battery on the car and the lights on the dash still come on. And like i said they only turn on when i first apply the brake. Could it be possible the hids could have messed up the ABS module indefinitely?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had removed them completely and reset the battery on the car and the lights on the dash still come on. And like i said they only turn on when i first apply the brake. Could it be possible the hids could have messed up the ABS module indefinitely?
I dont think thats possible. It could be that you need to reset the ABS module or clear the codes using a tech 2. You might want to take it to a Saab place that has a tech 2 and have them pull the codes and post them up, that could help.

Have you checked all the fuses to make sure nothings blown?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. The closest Saab dealer to me is like over an hour away. I believe my garage I go to has Tech 2 machine.. they can reset the codes, right? Also. I have no idea where the ABS module is located.. and where is a good place to mount the ballasts? I am waiting for my low beam hid kit to arrive in the mail, so I need to find spots for 4 ballasts to be safe from the elements as much as possible.. I am going to go check the fuses and post pics of where I have my ballasts.. Also my check engine light has come on now since I re-installed the ballasts into the same spots..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the locations of the Ballasts.. One of them is all the way to the right above the wheel well just sitting behind some insulated hoses and the other one is sitting right next to the cars battery, which i just found out the ABS module is mounted behind the battery..

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yea that one by the battery is likely too close to the ABS module.

I've got no idea on the ABS, but I wouldn't think any permanent damage has been caused. It might have sensed it wasn't workign correctly and shut itself down though. Might have to clear the codes to get it to reset. You could try pulling the ABS fuse. Not sure if that would do anything though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I moved the ballast under the driver side headlight, plan on doing the same to the passenger side ballast. I pulled the ABS fuse and they stayed on. When I put it back on they turned off and then when I applied the brake they came back on. Im going to go and see if I can get the lights reset and see what that does..

·
Registered
386 Posts
I moved the ballast under the driver side headlight, plan on doing the same to the passenger side ballast. I pulled the ABS fuse and they stayed on. When I put it back on they turned off and then when I applied the brake they came back on. Im going to go and see if I can get the lights reset and see what that does..
This is all very strange. I would get the codes pulled and see what the ECU is reporting. Its entirely possible the lights aren't related to the HIDs and them popping up when you installed the HIDs is a coincidence.

Are you sure the wheel speed / ABS sensors are intact and everything is plugged in properly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it could be coincidence that this happened when I installed the HID's which is just weird. lol never had anything like that happen before..

I'm not sure about the connections and stuff on the ABS module..

I did go to my local car shop and he pulled these codes: ABS Codes C0131 which is pressure sensor failure, also linked to the ABS module. And he said look into E.B.C.M (Electronic Brake Control Module). which i googled and is also tied into the ABS module.. So I think its the ABS module is bad. I may check the connections tomorrow if I have time after work and see if they are all hooked up and not corroded or anything like that.

If it all looks good im taking it to Saab and having them fix it. I do have a 5 year 60,000 Mile warranty on my car with no deductible, and I just bought the car about a month ago.. so im glad I purchased that :)

I will post any further progress as it comes.. Thanks again for the help charles.waite!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So i feel like an idiot.. It was a fuse.. I checked all fuses to make sure they were all good and they were. But it was a missing fuse.. Must have been missing since i bought the car..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts