SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Driving home in a snow storm the other night and then parking my car outdoors with temperatures dropping over night to 12 to 15 Degrees below zero celsius, I went to start my car this morning and I now have my ABS, Brake, fault code and TCS On lights illuminated on my display. I've tried starting the car several times but the lights are not going off. When I tried to drive the car first thing in morning there appeared to be some resistance from the brakes and I thought I heard a clicking noise. After driving for a few minutes the clicking noise seemed to go away and wheels appeared to free up and car would coast in neutral without brake resistance.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Could it be a weather related problem, i.e. ice or moisture on sensors or does it sound like a failure of an ABS Controller or module? I wil be taking the car to my local mechanic tomorrow to see if he can determine what the problem is. Any information or thoughts on this problem would be appreciated.

Marty:nono;

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Do you engage the hand brake when parked? Don't, if the temp is going below freezing. It will freeze engaged, one or both rear wheels will drag, and you will get ABS errors. Mine always go away once the car is restarted - in your case I would record and clear the codes and continue driving WITHOUT using the parking/hand brake and see if the lights come back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fault Codes

Morning Saab Crazy from Winnipeg:

Thanks for your comments. I always palce my hand brake on at night and your comment about one or both of the wheels freezing up overnight because of the extreme drop in temps would probably explain the drag I was experiencing in the morning and the fact that the car would not coast in neutral as the brake mechanism was fully or partially engaged i.e.in a frozen position. When you say record and clear the fault codes what do you mean? Do I need to have my mechanic do that or can I do it by pressing the clear button on my instrument panel? As I mentioned restarting the car does not clear this series of fault codes. Any additional info would be appreciated. Have a good day and good luck to the Bombers at the Grey Cup.

Thanks, Marty

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ABS, Brake and TCS off Lights

Afternoon Saab Crazy:

Just wanted to let you know that you diagnosis was right on the mark. The weather turned milder today. When I startred the car this morning the wheels were completely freed up but the fault lights were still on. A I drove down my street the fault codes diappeared. I stopped the car and started it again and the fault codes did not reappear. The problem you described was exactly the situatiuon I experienced so in future when I know we are getting weather under the freezing mark I will no longer engage the hand brake. Thanks once again for your advice and assistance. I did go to my mechanic to let him know the outcome and he was fully supportive of not using the hand brake in the colder months when this kind of problem can surface.

Take care!

Marty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts