SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dash lights up like a Christmas tree, it's a 2001 9-3 viggen with the 2.3L. I've got ABS and TCS light on and of course the red caution light. Speedo doesn't work at all and neither does the cruise control.

Thinking it's maybe the ABS module that needs to be sent in I hear it's a common problem, just wanted some more experienced advice before I dived into it.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Yes , It sounds like the ABs Module , have struck the problem a couple of times, 2 out of 4, 9-3's I have been involved with . I have been lucky enough to get working units from U pull wreckers , there would be Repair/Exchange options with warranty , but that may be expensive.
Maybe an idea for you is to grab one from a wreckers, try it out , and have yours repaired and ready to go when the wrecker one fails ...
They are simple to replace, 6 screws, One large harness connector and one smaller connector , it is an electonic component you will not get involved in the Hydraulic side of the system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You're on the right path. I had the same problem in my '01 Viggen CV.
To repair the ABS module, unscrew the fasteners holding the electronic part to the hydraulic part and send the electronic part to BBA-Reman. Real simple without having to open the hydraulic side.
For my '01 9-3, I've had them fix the ABS, the SID, and the ACC.
--ACP

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I wouldn't use BBA Reman. They've been in an out of business so many times in the last year I've lost count. They just vanish, no one answers emails or the phone. (And no, it's not Covid related... predates that). Meanwhile, read the Google reviews on them... you'll go elsewhere. They used to be my go-to... now I look elsewhere. There are other companies.

If you go the u-pull or Ebay route, make sure the part #'s match. OG 9-3 is generally the same. Someone here had an issue with transmission type not matching recently and had to hit it with a Tech II (news to me). But, if you match on that, you're good without a Tech II I think.

Best option, as always, is hook up to a Tech II and let it tell you what the issue is. May not be the controller, although odds are on it. A bad wheel sensor or wiring will give you the same results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't use BBA Reman. They've been in an out of business so many times in the last year I've lost count. They just vanish, no one answers emails or the phone. (And no, it's not Covid related... predates that). Meanwhile, read the Google reviews on them... you'll go elsewhere. They used to be my go-to... now I look elsewhere. There are other companies.

If you go the u-pull or Ebay route, make sure the part #'s match. OG 9-3 is generally the same. Someone here had an issue with transmission type not matching recently and had to hit it with a Tech II (news to me). But, if you match on that, you're good without a Tech II I think.

Best option, as always, is hook up to a Tech II and let it tell you what the issue is. May not be the controller, although odds are on it. A bad wheel sensor or wiring will give you the same results.
BBA was definitely my first choice, I'll look into other ways. I've been trying to find someone with a tech II for a while now with no luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're on the right path. I had the same problem in my '01 Viggen CV.
To repair the ABS module, unscrew the fasteners holding the electronic part to the hydraulic part and send the electronic part to BBA-Reman. Real simple without having to open the hydraulic side.
For my '01 9-3, I've had them fix the ABS, the SID, and the ACC.
--ACP
I'll try BBA if all else fails. If bobsaabit is right tho I'm not gonna risk loosing my module, then I have a sitting duck of a viggen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts