SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
sold my cadillac cts and i am picking my car up on tuesday from dallas, its a 07 2.0T titan grey.

the questions i have are as follows:

What things do i check when i pick up the car?

what is the break in procedure (btw i am driving about 300 miles from dallas to houston)?

dealer said i have to fill out a sheet with electronic preferences so it can be done at delivery, where is this sheet?

do i need to let the turbo go on idle(cool down) before i turn off the car?

more questions will come as i think up some.

thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
mohooba93 said:
What things do i need to do when i pick up the car?

what is the break in procedure (btw i am driving about 300 miles from dallas to houston)?

dealer said i have to fill out a sheet with electronic preferences so it can be done at delivery, where is this sheet?

do i need to let the turbo go on idle(cool down) before i turn off the car?
1. Make sure you have insurance. Call your insurance company. With some companies, if you already have insurance, you are covered for 15-30 days to give you time to notify them. Bring driver's license and money to pay for the car. Bring sunglasses for the drive. If you are trading in the old car, bring your title and other documents. Bring a screwdriver. I think in Texas, you take your old license plate. If you are cautious, bring a tire gauge so that you can check your new car before the long drive.

2. Don't drive full throttle (pedal to the metal). In fact, try to keep it at 60 mph or less. Ok, 70 but not 80. Try to vary the speed and not keep it a constant. If you have a manual, don't shift up too early for the first 500 miles or so. Tires can be slippery for the first 100 miles or so (don't know the exact figure)..

3. These are Tech II options. There is a list at something like mr-and-mrsg.net and there's a link somewhere in this website to that website. Off the top of my head:
a. push key fob once and driver's door unlocks. push again for the other doors. Option: push it once and all doors unlock.
b. nothing. Option: driver's door unlocks when you take out the key from the ignition. This is good otherwise you have to push the unlock button to unlock the car.
c. nothing. Option: car door locks when you drive off.
d. lights flash when you lock the door with the key fob signaling that the alarm is on. Option: no flash
e. nothing. Option: horn sounds when you lock the car signalling that the alarm is on.

4. Turbo cool down is not necessary because it's watercooled, not oil cooled as in the 1980's. That's the communist party line. I believe letting it cool down for at least 15 seconds. I also believe in avoid much throttle during the last little bit of driving to let the turbo stop spinning so fast.

Remember to adjust your seat and mirrors before going. Don't get into an accident the first day.

·
Registered
499 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so if i just take the tech 2 sheet with preferences and hand it to the dealer, thats it?

thanks

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
There's a list here somewhere on Tech II settings so look that up.

Breaking in: just vary the speed and keep in under 5,000 rpm. A quick look in the manual before your drive should help clarify.

Make sure everything is in the car: floormats, manuals, extra keys, etc.
You might want to consider negotiating for an extra set of keys while new as after the fact it's a nuisance to get more keys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
congrats!

It should be a quite a change from the cadillac. I am glad your seach is working out. Everyone has great ideas. I also like to let the turbo cool down especially If you are driving hard, (as well as don't drive hard until the engine/turbo/oil has warmed up). One of the main things is to vary your RPM's on your way back from Big D. I can't imagine you being able to keep it less than 70 on the interstate in Texas unless there is traffic.

Side track: Is the only way to reprogram the car's tech II is at the dealer for most of these options?

Bwb

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would concentrate on the body and interior, make sure there is absolutly no damage, scratches, etc. After you leave the lot, small dings, scratches that appear are your problem. Also look for interior scuffs, etc.

Congratulations.

Bryan

·
Registered
267 Posts
Check the bottom section (underneath) the front fascia and along the bottom door edge on each side. You'll have to get underneath the car. Check for paint scratches and road rash that may have happened during test drives and delivery off the truck.

I test drove a 2.0T and just happened to notice quite a bit of damage, quite by chance. The Dealer's response was a bit underwhelming. The guy said, "yeah, people go over curbs in these all the time". Like it was no big deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts