SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I spoke with another dealership who said that something was definitely out of whack with my cabin lights (i.e. sometimes they don't turn off right away after locking the door with the key fob). Then I called my own dealership's service advisor and relayed to him this second opinion. He said that I should take it to that dealership to have it fixed.

He went on to say this, "What you're describing is normal. After you left, we checked it on a couple of other 9-3's and they did the same thing."

I'm glad they checked it, but it also shows me that at the time I took my car in and they insisted that the cabin lights were functioning normally, no one was actually sure of it at the time! They told me nothing was wrong, and then had to verify the accuracy of their response AFTER I left. That would be like me insisting to one of my patients that all they have is a canker sore in their mouth, and then going and checking my pathology book to make sure it wasn't cancer. That's not good business.

Considering the possibility that the service advisor could be lying to me, I checked it myself at another dealership, and sure enough, one time when unlocking and locking the door, the interior light went off immediately. The second time I tried it, it stayed on for 20 seconds.

It seems that opening the door beforehand "sets-up" the timer to identify the locking mechanism and turn off the cabin lights immediately when the doors are locked with the key fob. When the door isn't opened (i.e. you simply unlock and lock the door), the timer might "opt" to shut off the lights immediatley. Strange....

I guess this is just one of those Saab quircks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DanS said:
So there is no problem then? The timer is activated by the door?
That's what I'm thinking. Of course, it still doesn't explain the inconsistent behavior of the lights when the door is unlocked then immediately locked without being opened first.

I mean, what could cause the interior lights, in the above scenario, to go off immediately on one occasion, then take 20 seconds on another?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would agree that the interior light operation is different depending on whether the doors have been opened or not, and it would also appear that the delay between unlocking and locking again also has some bearing on when they shut off.

I'm not sure exactly what the deciding factors are that determine which happens, but it does appear normal. My 2003 has behaved in this way since I got it, and I can't say I've given it much attention until your original thread came up.

It is also ties in with what one of your Service Advisors told you when you took it into the dealership, that the light operation depends on whether the door has been opened or not.

It's just one of those quirks. When I lock my 2003, you get a "chirp" when the TSL (deadlocking, not available in the US I believe) activates. Most of the time I get the chirp when I lock. But sometimes I have to press the lock button a second time to get the chirp. It's just another quirk.

I know it's annoying to you, and whilst I agree your dealer could treat you (and you car) better, I can see their point too. As far as they are concerned, your car is operating normally. Although the operation of the lights is somewhat idiosyncratic, there's nothing actually wrong. So they can't do anything about it. I think they have been as helpful as they can be.

At least it will have been a change for them from all the complaints about splitting coolant expansion tanks on the V6's and everyone moaning about creaking suspension and rattling interiors!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JBob said:
I would agree that the interior light operation is different depending on whether the doors have been opened or not, and it would also appear that the delay between unlocking and locking again also has some bearing on when they shut off.

I'm not sure exactly what the deciding factors are that determine which happens, but it does appear normal. My 2003 has behaved in this way since I got it, and I can't say I've given it much attention until your original thread came up.

It is also ties in with what one of your Service Advisors told you when you took it into the dealership, that the light operation depends on whether the door has been opened or not.

It's just one of those quirks. When I lock my 2003, you get a "chirp" when the TSL (deadlocking, not available in the US I believe) activates. Most of the time I get the chirp when I lock. But sometimes I have to press the lock button a second time to get the chirp. It's just another quirk.

I know it's annoying to you, and whilst I agree your dealer could treat you (and you car) better, I can see their point too. As far as they are concerned, your car is operating normally. Although the operation of the lights is somewhat idiosyncratic, there's nothing actually wrong. So they can't do anything about it. I think they have been as helpful as they can be.

At least it will have been a change for them from all the complaints about splitting coolant expansion tanks on the V6's and everyone moaning about creaking suspension and rattling interiors!
Agreed. They have indeed been as helpful as they can be. The problem is that they didn't know that!

As for the rattling interiors, make no mistake about it, I've got some of that: in the sunroof area, perhaps a little in the pillar (near my head), and oodles of it from the door when the stereo is on.

I am scared sh*tless to take it to the dealer to address these things, as I have no doubt they'll tell me either 1. we could not reproduce the vibrations, or 2. there's nothing we can do. And even if they could, I have no doubt that they'd damage the interior of my car in some manner while attempting to fix the vibrations. Then I'd have to raise hell....which I hate doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts