SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

i'm hopefully shortly to get my hands on an abbott chargecooler - but just the chargecooler, not the rest of the kit (hoses, pump etc..)

can anyone please post any pics of the full set up as installed in their (or anyone else's) car - or better still, does anyone still have abbott's instructions that they could send me a copy of? :lol:

many thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
I hope you are getting it cheap because all the components are going to add up - if you only have the cooler it may be easier (and better performance wise)better to install a FMIC?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
The Abbott water pump isn't particularly good, so I wouldn't go with one of those, there are far better alternatives available from places such as Demon Tweeks or scrapyards if you can find the auxillary water pump from a Volvo 440/460/480.

The water rad that Abbott provide isn't particularly large either, so again I would look around for something better.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
That charge cooler is not much of an "upgrade" over the stock intercooler, plus if it's like 90% of the abbot charge coolers, the core will be leaking in about 6 months. look up either my or Alex's FMIC to see what a real intercooler upgrade is! ;)

·
Registered
772 Posts
the chargecooler is a joke

can't take more then 15 PSI of boost or it will blow apart on you

junk.....

get a air-air FMIC

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the feedback
i'm beginning to get second thoughts now...:confused:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi

change of plan - I've managed to source a Volvo from ebay and eventually (when I've assembled all the bits) I'll go down the FMIC route...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
while the volvo intercooler is certainly a lot better than stock, I have never seen a really "clean" install of one on a 900. they are always sticking through the lower fascia and have pipework that hangs lower than the damn skidplate! not telling you not to do it, but I would have to say a bar and plate like this-

is a far better option.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have to agree, having put in a 9000 intercooler in my car I must say that there are many better options. For me I just want a little more fun from the car so I dont need the best option out there, but the way these intercoolers stick out from under the bumper can be very annoying as you can scrape them on anything. If I had to do it all again I would buy a nice intercooler off ebay that would fit properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts