SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got everything together today. Exhaust, 1' section of 3" SS pipe, Vibrant SS V-band clamp, and tig welder.
First: KUDOS to Abbott Racing Motorsport for manufacturing an exhaust that fit perfectly. Absolutely no hassle drop-in, fit like a glove, 3" diameter stainless beauty of stunning quality. Next, KUDOS to Jonethan (that is the correct spelling) Sepelak, a welder of consummate skill and artistry who is possessed of talent and the patience of Job. Next, KUDOS to Tommy Turbo for the loan of his shop, a lift and numerous helpful tools. Lastly, but certainly not leastly, KUDOS to Mr. Fred Shaw of Shaw Saab, for exceptional customer service in efficiently arranging purchase and shipping to me of the exhaust in the first place. Mr. Shaw was instrumental in making this happen and I wish to thank him publicly for his extremely kind, fast and professional service.
Rear section clamped in place during fitting:

The two reducer ends (left from the MP Performance DP and right from the Abbott exhaust) after they were cut off to remove the bottleneck:

Abbott exhaust with reducer cut off:

The male V-band clamp flange welded on to the DP:

Approximate 6" section of SS pipe butt welded in take up the distance left from removal of the reducer ends (the weld on the left is Abbott's and the weld on the right is Jonethan's):

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
View from behind, reducer end of exhaust cut off and male flange to V-ban clamp tacked on:

Test fitting the center extension section before welding on the female flange to the clamp:

Connection of exhaust to DP complete:

Rear section bolted up:

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First impressions:

Deep exhaust note and 1/2 as loud as the Saab Sport (which had no center resonator). Extremely quiet at idle and at half throttle. If time permits tomorrow, 50# injectors go in as well as ECU. Would have done it after OSU v. MSU, but had to fix O2 sensor splice which did not survive the DP removal.

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Floyd 4321. Like I said, Jonethan is a very talented welder.

I think I may have fixed the power steering for the final time. I speculated that my inline filter (on the low pressure side) had clogged from trapping the metal in the fluid after the first rack (and pump) change, thereby creating unwanted back pressure within the rack. When this, my third rack in four years, developed a leak, I removed the filter (yesterday while fixing the O2 sensor splice) and spliced in a section of straight hose. I sprayed everything from the rack down with brake parts cleaner and thus far, no new leak has manifested itself. Fingers crossed.
The 50# injectors went in fairly easily (not nearly as easily as in a Classic 900) and the ECU was, as always, simple and quick. But, now I have the dreaded check engine light. No flash codes are being thrown through the CEL however. That said, I will probably have the CEL read before any adaptation runs.

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulled the codes, erased them and CEL came back on immediately. So the codes are P1652 (not in WIS for 1995, but spec'ed as ROM fault for Saab by Equus), P0453 (evap sensor input high - this code has not reappeared since its erasure) and P0141 (O2 sensor heater circuit - I suspect my dark of night resplice/solder was imperfect and I will have to redo this). Assuming the resplice works, this will leave the perplexing P1652. There are 6 or 7 threads dealing with this but none provide a definitive answer.
This the JSP Stage V tune - T25/28 turbo, 50# injectors and reflash.
In any event, the car drives nicely. Very quiet and powerful. Around town mileage after ECU reset during installation, including some near WOT moments, is at 29.4 currently.

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems adequate for my needs. The real boost comes on later than with the T25, but not so much so that you cannot adapt to it. It certainly pulls harder. I had it on without injectors and SW for several months.

Anybody have any ideas about P1652? I will try to get the codes read by Tech 2 instead of a generic scanner and see if that sheds any light on it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Saaboheme said:
It seems adequate for my needs. The real boost comes on later than with the T25, but not so much so that you cannot adapt to it. It certainly pulls harder. I had it on without injectors and SW for several months.

Anybody have any ideas about P1652? I will try to get the codes read by Tech 2 instead of a generic scanner and see if that sheds any light on it.
My buddy that works at MAC got a $1500 euro code scanner for like $20, maybe I can borrow it from him. You wanted to check my exhaust anyway as do I yours. Plus I am very curious about that turbo. Did you get it from gpop?

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nah - it is Jak's Stage 5 set up: ECU, Injectors and Turbo. I do not know where he jobs out the turbos. Very kind of you to offer, but Tomy Turbo is about a mile up the street, and I can use his Tech 2. However, I do want to hear yours soon-like.

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More pics

Tried to get some more pics of the entire system this past weekend while under the car:

(You can ignore the coolant dripping off the cat, I changed a few smaller coolant hoses before winter hits and a little dripped down during the process).
The Abbott supplied straight cut polished 3" tailpipe:

The Magnaflow double walled oval slash cut 3" to 4" tip that will be going on:

Stuck it on the pipe (it sticks out about 5" too far, until the pipe is cut):

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mr rx-7 tt said:
I see some coolant leaked?
Yes you do. Please see the first sentence following the first picture in the last post. It says:
(You can ignore the coolant dripping off the cat, I changed a few smaller coolant hoses before winter hits and a little dripped down during the process).

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Saaboheme said:

Yup, its an inernal rom error, only fixed by reflashing the ecu or replacing the ecu, I have had to do both. Had one ecu from a customer with jsp tune on it and it had that internal ecu fault code. Clear it, comes right back. I reflashed it and it came back the next day. Got another ecu core and problem solved. I have seen this about 3 times out the 40 something tunes I have done.

I would send it back to jak for a trade of ecu core or a reflash,

good luck,

John

·
Registered
267 Posts
Saaboheme, how do you get to the filter? Do you have to empty the whole fluid? Mine does a crazy noise at times, and althoughI have changed the steering fluid (Green Pentosin chf 11s) I cannot get rid of the noise...

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fromero said:
Saaboheme, how do you get to the filter? Do you have to empty the whole fluid? Mine does a crazy noise at times, and althoughI have changed the steering fluid (Green Pentosin chf 11s) I cannot get rid of the noise...
There is no filter. I put one inline on the PS return line (low pressure side) to pick up any metal that contaminated the system after the pump went. I have just removed it, speculating that it was now clogged enough to back up the line and increase the internal pressure. The leak from the rack seals seems to have stopped, although the fluid level has not fully stabilized yet. After I scrubbed off the firewall and cleaned everything with engine cleaner, there is no sign of leakage from the previous trouble area.
I would drain, at least partially, and refill one more time to see if this lessens the noise. Groaning will increase as temps drop, so it is probably a good idea to do what you can now to see if this helps.

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John Z Williams said:
Yup, its an inernal rom error, only fixed by reflashing the ecu or replacing the ecu, I have had to do both. Had one ecu from a customer with jsp tune on it and it had that internal ecu fault code. Clear it, comes right back. I reflashed it and it came back the next day. Got another ecu core and problem solved. I have seen this about 3 times out the 40 something tunes I have done.

I would send it back to jak for a trade of ecu core or a reflash,

good luck,

John
Thanks much John. I had speculated that it may be a programming issue, but my earlier searches could neither confrim this nor rule it out. I am now wondering if this is a minor ECU incompatibility issue, since my car requires a T5 unit with no VSS. If the ECU comes from a later model that P1652 is applicable to, could it be this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts