SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... kind of.

My mp3 player (Philips HDD100 which has terrible PC software and support but works very well otherwise - 15 GB) has user defined equalizer settings. I have set up four settings for in car which I can tune to "bump up" the mid range which is a bit light now, when compared to bass and treble.

Clearly, this only works for my Aux input, but all my albums etc are on mp3 anyway. Now that I have the ashtray shelf installed and the aux input wired to there it works really well.

Also, the mp3 style fits well with the Saab interior - less noticeable than an iPod.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
You can set equalizers with IPOD too but it's not that easy and alot more then 4 choices. I've been thinking about saving different setting too songs that I listen too alot, but then I get tired from thinking about it :(

I do wish IPOD had a metal cover or black so that it matched better!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am an iPod fan (now) but two years ago when I bought my mp3 player no matter which iPod you bought (even 40 gig) the battery life was poor. I rang Apple to check and they confirmed that the battery should be able to be recharged 300 times, and last approximately 8 hours per charge.

Perhaps it was just me but when they said that the battery couldn't be replaced and that you just disposed of the iPod - I decided against.

The Philips has a replacable rechargeable cell. (as do the latest iPod)

If I were buying now it would be the Sony mp3 player - 30 hours of music and sony style and quality. Very nice. (it even plays mp3 now):D

Oh yeah, the next step is to mount the wired remote beside the dash cupholder to turn the unit on/off, and switch tracks. Unfortunately it has no display..... The wires should be hidden behind the fascia.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have had iPods since they first came out, and I have always disdained the pre-sets on the equalizer. I may have to look at the Phillips down the road...

Indeed, I listen mostly to 'bootleg' live shows; while I almost exclusively listen to soundboard recordings, the output varies widely and trying to find a good fit bouncing from 'Jazz' to 'Latin' to 'Rock' setting to whatever is a ridiculous pain.

·
Registered
609 Posts
finwake said:
I have had iPods since they first came out, and I have always disdained the pre-sets on the equalizer. I may have to look at the Phillips down the road...

Indeed, I listen mostly to 'bootleg' live shows; while I almost exclusively listen to soundboard recordings, the output varies widely and trying to find a good fit bouncing from 'Jazz' to 'Latin' to 'Rock' setting to whatever is a ridiculous pain.
You can set the equilizer preset in iTunes a show at a time and it will automatically always play back with that EQ setting. No switching is necessary on your iPod

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got my iPod docked to my aux-in and 12v power and I wouldn't do it any other way. I tried the Creative Touch and iRiver H320 and neither sounded as good in my car. Also, by using a dock in the car all I have to do is set the iPod into it and it's immediately connected to the aux-in AND power (through the dock) without having to touch any wires at all. So taking it in and out of the car is pretty effortless.

As far as matching colors, you can buy iPod skins in almost any color. You don't only have to get black to match the interior, but if you want you can get a color that actually matches the exterior paint as well. In other words, you can make your iPod any color you wish. New skins can be bought for under $10 off of eBay.

I've upgraded the speakers in my car so I don't really need to fuss with EQ setting, but if I wanted to my iPod has a bunch of different settings I could turn on.

·
Registered
230 Posts
All iPods can have the battery replaced through Apple and through some third parties as well. This has been the case for a very long time. Some uninformed dolts, who eventually made a public apology, spread rumors to the contray.

I love my iPods... one full size, one shuffle, and a mini for my wife (pretty colors). I have tried other players and I wouldn't trade the software/hardware combo for anything out there... that is until I convince my wife it is a good idea to install a mac mini in my car with and LCD, GPS, and wireless (making it a music service, GPS navigation, system, and drive up internet costing roughly half what the factory installed navigation would cost with lower maintanence costs).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jermichael said:
All iPods can have the battery replaced through Apple and through some third parties as well. This has been the case for a very long time. Some uninformed dolts, who eventually made a public apology, spread rumors to the contray.
Must have been an "uninformed dolt" that I spoke to personally at Apple Technical Services desk then. How foolish of me to believe him.

I think that there have been people around prepared to pull it apart and solder new batteries in for years, but they weren't designed to be replaced, indeed it wasn't a service Apple offered two years ago.

I have an iPod mini also. As I said, I am now an iPod fan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts