SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I forgot to charge my Motorola Razor cell phone the other night and went to use the cigar lighter charging adaptor and it did not work, I also tried the rear one ( I have a MY07 Aero S/C) and it did not work there. I had the same problem on my Range Rover a few years back. Any ideas?

Tim

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Could be fuses.....could be the particular charger isn't making proper contact..or the connector on the rear of the socket came loose.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I had same problem......what Owner's Manual doesn't tell you is that the ignition has to be in "on"position to get power to outlets !!!!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
JonV said:
Could be fuses.....could be the particular charger isn't making proper contact..or the connector on the rear of the socket came loose.
Yes, some chargers when you place them in the cig lighter socket in a certain manner - the contact will cause a short and blow the fuse either in the car or on the charger itself. I haven't had a problem in recent years but the old chargers were very sensitive.
Check both fuses.

G

·
Maybe the charger itself is bad? I once had a cheap aftermarker iPod charger and it was very difficult to put it in the right way to make it connect.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check the fuses, but I last used it in my 9.7X and worked OK. Also noting I'm sure the rear socket and the center console socket are not on the same circuit...

Tim

·
Registered
824 Posts
Could be the fuses, or a bad connection. My center console outlet wouldn't work, and the dealer said there was a bad connection at the harness, whatever that means.

G

·
Warren Demontague said:
Could be the fuses, or a bad connection. My center console outlet wouldn't work, and the dealer said there was a bad connection at the harness, whatever that means.
The center console outlet broke on my 2006 a few months after I bought it new. The dealer replaced the entire outlet and it worked fine after that.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Wulf said:
The center console outlet broke on my 2006 a few months after I bought it new. The dealer replaced the entire outlet and it worked fine after that.
Yeah, I think that outlet is more sensitive to how you twist or handle the adapter once you plug it in. Be gentle.

G

·
On a side note... Why can't the auto manufacturers come up with a better universal solution for power outlets? Many cars don't even come with ashtrays anymore so why stick with the cigarette lighter outlets to power phones and other devices? I always misplace the little cover thingie and am left with a big hole in the dash after I charge my phone or iPod.. :confused:

Something magnetic like Apple's MagSafe laptop chargers would be nice... It probably would be even less expensive than manufacturing those big cigarette charger outlets..

Sorry for drifting off... I sometimes have too much time to think..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wulf said:
On a side note... Why can't the auto manufacturers come up with a better universal solution for power outlets? Many cars don't even come with ashtrays anymore so why stick with the cigarette lighter outlets to power phones and other devices? I always misplace the little cover thingie and am left with a big hole in the dash after I charge my phone or iPod.. :confused:

Something magnetic like Apple's MagSafe laptop chargers would be nice... It probably would be even less expensive than manufacturing those big cigarette charger outlets..

Sorry for drifting off... I sometimes have too much time to think..
One would think some manuf might at least provide USB charging ports in addition to the 12V (which personally I like b/c I carry a small inverter around for very rare use).

Of course once the car has USB we are going to become upset that we can't connect all manner of non-sensical devices to it.. (and can you imagine Saab tech support.... "how can I help you?" "yes, well I plugged my USB joystick in and can't get it to steer my car....")

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts