SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK, so put a new cat in, and we now have boost again. But during the first 8 miles warming up the cat, I noticed that when you floored the gas and then backed off to around half throttle, that that it seemed to stop injecting fuel at all. Like, the engine seemed to cut out . Not a hard cut as if it was ignition, it felt more like very weak mixture or no fuel at all. And then came back when you take your foot off the gas completely and step on it again. No fault codes, and now I know for sure that there is nothing wrong with fuel pressure, boost control etc. I have the feeling that it's something programmed into the ecu, Can anyone enlighten me? Anyone else had this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
think the above problem was simply that the fuel tank was nearly empty. and the pump on acceleration was sucking air....maybe.

But now have noticed engine oil in the cobra...meaning that the turbo oil seals, or at least the compressor end seal, is F#$%'d. Or at least, on its way. So that could have been the cause of the demise of the catalyst. Being keen on not throwing anything away that I don't have to, does anyone know if repair kits are available for these turbo's?

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
One thing it could of been is the ECU, due to the silly place thats its fitted it gets hot(there is a fix for this, a kit that lifts it off the engine by about an inch on rubber mounts) this drops the temp of the ECU by 45 Degrees and eliminates the engine vibrations shaking the ECU..when metal gets hot or cold it changes size(we all know that) imagine a joint soldered cracking within the ECU and connecting and disconnecting due to the different temps..
...i realise this was not your problem ,but i think i might fit or make my own anyway as its such a silly place to put the unit ..Si
Um, this is a 9-5 we're talking about.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
you will see small amounts of oil in the intake, that's normal. you'll find an oily residue on the intake and the intercooler. liquid oil, on the other hand, is an issue.

yes, you can rebuild both the Garret and Mitsubishi turbos in these cars. If they haven't gone too far that is. Make you mark the compressor wheel and the shaft so that you put it back the way it came and it'll still be balanced. Otherwise it'll need to be re-balanced by a professional.

Or you can buy a pre-balanced new center section and use the compressor and exhaust housings.

But I'd take the cobra and exhaust off and stick your fingers in there to see if there is any play in teh turbine. (side to side and axial), any more than just a tiny amount and you're right the bearings are going bad.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
If I was going to the trouble of getting that much into a turbo fix I would replace the Garret with a Mitsubishi, more power, more reliable.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts