SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally figured a way to install a usable in dash cupholder eliminating a constant source of frustration caused by Swedish engineers who obviously don't drink coffee. My solution was to add a single DIN cupholder from a '90s era Ford Taurus to go along with a single DIN receiver. I really don't think any aftermarket single or double din stereo upgrade looks great, but I find this cosmetically acceptable. The downside is I had to mount the radio and cupholder to the dash panel so any future work on the stereo requires pulling the whole panel.

If I had more patience and free time I probably could've done a more professional job. Basically I cut the top of the stock stereo cage and folded them up so the sides extended up and around the SID cage (cutting off excess). I removed the cupholder from the SID cage and then riveted the stereo cage to the sid cage in place in the dash panel. Had to remove a bit of the cupholder frame on the rear left and cut off the rear ends of the slide out trays to shorten them to fit but it does not impact use. Riveted the cupholder frame to the cage and installed stereo to the cage using screw mounting points. I had to route amp RCA cables and speaker wiring close to the sides of the center console and it was definitely a tight fit sliding everything in but I manged to do it without scratching everything up. I had some spare faceplate trim peices from various DIN converter kits which fit the cupholder and the stereo OK. Finally slid in the SID and cracked open a soda to test.

It was certainly a PITA and the wiper stalk will hit it in the full down fast position - but it works for me. Fortunately it looks a lot better in person vs the attached pictures. I installed a dash carbon fiber application kit and might be able to use some extra pieces to cover the faceplate trim which might help

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
This looks good! I'm about to throw a single din stereo in and am looking for different options other than the pocket.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Excellent solution ;ol;

The lack of a cupholder is bizarre. The Swedes certainly do drink coffee (fika anyone?) but maybe drinking while driving is a safety no-no? Or maybe they just forgot. Who knows? I often take coffee from home to work in a cup and in the 9-5 that's no problem but if I've got the 9-3 outside I have to put it in a sealed flask.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hopefully you are still around jmkcc. I am curious do you have the website + the color you picked for your dash overlay?

The factory carbon fiber dash bezel is coming off and it’s time for a new one. Every kit I have seen so far has looked tacky or cheap. Yours looks really nice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with this DL Auto Dash kit from rvinyl.com in the Genuine Carbon Fiber (extra cost) which has a thick clear glossy top coat. It does look good but too be honest, I would have preferred a satin or matte finish. I was on the fence over the genuine CF or the unfinished D-Noc vinyl carbon fiber. I originally tried installing the sheet D-Noc product myself and got pretty close, but with all the nooks and crannies I could not create a professional finish so ultimately went with a kit. I thought the the thick glossy finish would loo better and be easier to install (it was really easy). I'm not disappointed, but I'd be interested to see what the dry-look D-Noc looks like if they still offer it.

I really only have one complaint which is the fact that the complete dash panel is in three peices as you can see from the diagram on the website. Not sure if this is to make it easier to ship or if it is too hard to align and install one large dash panel piece. I found the slim top center section over the speed cluster's gaps to be annoying at first. There were no obnoxious gaps, but because the ends are tapered the seam is really noticable. That said, while it was really noticeable during install, I don't really notice it at all. Most of the kits I looked at had a single seam in the center which I think would be even more noticeable so barring a kit that comes with one complete main panel piece, options may be limited.

I'll try to load some pics later this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for the reply buddy. I actually was just looking on that website. The pricing seems to be fair. I agree with you on having a satin / matte finish over the glossy look but it doesn’t look bad at all.

I wonder how the rvinyl kit compares to the stateofnine kit? I was just excited to see someone with a carbon fiber kit. Every website I find they have a wood grain kit being displayed and the picture looks so fake / stockphoto quality so it’s hard to gauge how it would look from a real persons perspective.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I emailed a few sit4es asking for samples but emails went into black hole so I just pulled the trigger. I suppose you could call a few sites and maybe they'd send some samples which might be the safest route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From the pictures you posted yours looks really nice. I especially like the SID / ACC overlay. Will look really nice with my double din I have in.

I’m excited to see any additional pictures you can get of it. It may be enough for me to go and find a plain dash and pull the trigger on buying this kit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I finally figured a way to install a usable in dash cupholder eliminating a constant source of frustration caused by Swedish engineers who obviously don't drink coffee. My solution was to add a single DIN cupholder from a '90s era Ford Taurus to go along with a single DIN receiver. I really don't think any aftermarket single or double din stereo upgrade looks great, but I find this cosmetically acceptable. The downside is I had to mount the radio and cupholder to the dash panel so any future work on the stereo requires pulling the whole panel.

If I had more patience and free time I probably could've done a more professional job. Basically I cut the top of the stock stereo cage and folded them up so the sides extended up and around the SID cage (cutting off excess). I removed the cupholder from the SID cage and then riveted the stereo cage to the sid cage in place in the dash panel. Had to remove a bit of the cupholder frame on the rear left and cut off the rear ends of the slide out trays to shorten them to fit but it does not impact use. Riveted the cupholder frame to the cage and installed stereo to the cage using screw mounting points. I had to route amp RCA cables and speaker wiring close to the sides of the center console and it was definitely a tight fit sliding everything in but I manged to do it without scratching everything up. I had some spare faceplate trim peices from various DIN converter kits which fit the cupholder and the stereo OK. Finally slid in the SID and cracked open a soda to test.

It was certainly a PITA and the wiper stalk will hit it in the full down fast position - but it works for me. Fortunately it looks a lot better in person vs the attached pictures. I installed a dash carbon fiber application kit and might be able to use some extra pieces to cover the faceplate trim which might help
Somewhat confused as my 2000 9-3 Viggen (Convertible) does have a cup holder - built into the center dash panel (stock).

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As did mine but the quality and sturdiness of the single cup factory holder was not up to snuff. Maybe Swedish coffee cups are different, but I found cups were either too loose and shlopped around or too big so they were top heavy waiting to topple over when I drive like an idiot. Seriously, cup-holders were not a Saab forte. I went as far as taking apart 3 center console coin/cupholders to build one in great condition and the weird size made my cup stick and the whole coin/cup assembly would pull out when I tried to drink.

Hence the change to US engineering. Good ole US of A engineers might not be able to develop a Saab quality car overall back in the day - but you have to admit they know what they are doing when it came to cupholders..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts