SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally figured a way to install a usable in dash cupholder eliminating a constant source of frustration caused by Swedish engineers who obviously don't drink coffee. My solution was to add a single DIN cupholder from a '90s era Ford Taurus to go along with a single DIN receiver. I really don't think any aftermarket single or double din stereo upgrade looks great, but I find this cosmetically acceptable. The downside is I had to mount the radio and cupholder to the dash panel so any future work on the stereo requires pulling the whole panel.

If I had more patience and free time I probably could've done a more professional job. Basically I cut the top of the stock stereo cage and folded them up so the sides extended up and around the SID cage (cutting off excess). I removed the cupholder from the SID cage and then riveted the stereo cage to the sid cage in place in the dash panel. Had to remove a bit of the cupholder frame on the rear left and cut off the rear ends of the slide out trays to shorten them to fit but it does not impact use. Riveted the cupholder frame to the cage and installed stereo to the cage using screw mounting points. I had to route amp RCA cables and speaker wiring close to the sides of the center console and it was definitely a tight fit sliding everything in but I manged to do it without scratching everything up. I had some spare faceplate trim peices from various DIN converter kits which fit the cupholder and the stereo OK. Finally slid in the SID and cracked open a soda to test.

It was certainly a PITA and the wiper stalk will hit it in the full down fast position - but it works for me. Fortunately it looks a lot better in person vs the attached pictures. I installed a dash carbon fiber application kit and might be able to use some extra pieces to cover the faceplate trim which might help

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Excellent solution ;ol;

The lack of a cupholder is bizarre. The Swedes certainly do drink coffee (fika anyone?) but maybe drinking while driving is a safety no-no? Or maybe they just forgot. Who knows? I often take coffee from home to work in a cup and in the 9-5 that's no problem but if I've got the 9-3 outside I have to put it in a sealed flask.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts