SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I own a 2004 Pontiac GTO and a 2004 GMC envoy base model. I just found out today about the GM employee pricing being passed on to the consumer for june. While looking at the SUV lineup on GM's site I discovered the 9-7x. I must say I was impressed and excited. I have been looking for something to replace the envoy and I was thinking about a VW t-reg. I dont want a full size SUV but I did want something that can tow my trailer and GTO and still have a luxury type feel to it. I was planning on waiting for the trailblazer ss but the Saab has got my attention. If I can get it for around 36-38k I would be very pleased.

I like the sort niche type of car that saab seems to be. The envoy is very cheap feeling and the steering is too loose, the handling is just blah.....

I think GM and Saab are doing a good thing here, I for one never even considered a Saab and now am looking at the arc model and possibly down the road the 9-2x for my wife to tote around the kids. She wants something small but still roomy.
Anyways I will shutup now but I thought I would let you guys know that I think the 9-7x really will help the brand. Now if I could just find one in my area........

Jason

A

·
0 Posts
I think you'll find the wait to find one well worth it. They are trickling out of the factory, and most of the dealers around Ohio have them. Otherwise they're hard to find. Florida seems a lot closer to Moraine, Ohio than California, so your wait should be shorter than mine. I just really want to drive it.:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
dbluegoat said:
If I can get it for around 36-38k I would be very pleased.

I like the sort niche type of car that saab seems to be. The envoy is very cheap feeling and the steering is too loose, the handling is just blah.....

Jason
I owned a 2003 Envoy SLT and agree with what you said about it. However, after looking at pics of the 9-7x and seeing it at the car show I wouldn't even consider it for the price. I own a 9-3 vert so i am not a saab bashing troll.

I was so nauseated by the look and th einside I went back to GMC. I wound up with what the Sab should have been.

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
300 hp V8
leather
adjustable pedals
sunroof
airbags and curtains
XM and touch screen NAV
Fully loaded except for entertainment pkg

Stickered for $42,155...walked out around $37k

Couldn't be happier. Steering is definately better,more power, leather and parts are from the caddy bin. You should take a look.

Check out this site to check stock......

www.gmbuypower.com

I even posted pics on a thread here...

A

·
0 Posts
I don't get what you're saying about the price. An Arc model stickers for just under 41 grand, where your Denali was over 42 grand. If rebates had come into effect on the Saab, who knows what the price would have been. No offense, but the Denali is still tuned more like an SUV. It's not lowered or beefed up like the 9-7 is. And the interior is styled like the lesser Envoys. Don't get me wrong I think it's nice, it's just not what I'd buy when there's something different like the Saab for sale for cheaper.

R

·
0 Posts
This is the thing about the 9-7x, it's bringing in a wider range of consumers to the Saab brand.

It's a good thing too, as Saab seems to have retained it's Niche-ness, whereas someone like Lexus has lost it a bit.

Good to have you on here dbluegoat, welcome. :cheesy:

Keep us informed as to whether you grab a 9-7x.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
dbluegoat said:
Now if I could just find one in my area........
That's the catch unfornately. And the 9-2X is a fine car too, they really tweaked and fiddled with the right things and it has subaru reliability ( and gas mileage unfornately :roll: ).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 6'6"and have never looked at a Saab before but I am looking for a midsize suv. Have drive the Envoy Denali,BMW x5, and Mercedes. I drove the 9-7x with a v-8 and it drives MUICH better than the Envoy. For $36,500 with the discount it is $20,000 less than the Mercedes and BMW. I am close to buying one but am considering waiting until 2006. I think Saab has a winner!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Raven18940 said:
( and gas mileage unfornately :roll: ).
Ya, thats the price you pay for AWD and a HO turbo. Look at the bright side, if you had these things in a typical SUV you'b be looking at 12mp instead of 20. BTW, my OB XT has been getting 22.5 daily and 25-26.5 on long drives. And that is at 80 mph typically up and down a fairly steep interstate. Not great, but kicks the shart out of any suv..well, except for an Escape or Lexus Hybrid or a Touareg diesel, I suppose.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Lodro said:
Ya, thats the price you pay for AWD and a HO turbo.
I know, I just find it amusing that my bigger, heavier, and more powerful 9-5 gets better gas mileage. I think Suby needs to let Saab make Trionic ECU's for their engines.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I know, I just find it amusing that my bigger, heavier, and more powerful 9-5 gets better gas mileage. I think Suby needs to let Saab make Trionic ECU's for their engines.
Agredd! Saabs have always been killer for their highway mileage and power. Tall highway gearing and smart turbo design with lots of torque way down low. In my Viggen I could get in the low 30s at 85mph plus. Wheras the WRX nee 9-2x has quite short gearing and a relativly ineffecient turbo and ECU design.

Plus the fact that Subie awd system is full-time to all wheels creates more firction than some of the less adept but more efecient fwd based awd systems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
apzer09 said:
I don't get what you're saying about the price. An Arc model stickers for just under 41 grand, where your Denali was over 42 grand. If rebates had come into effect on the Saab, who knows what the price would have been.
I have been leasing cars for 10 years. I have never seen a dealer, even GM, let a brand new model to the market out the door with a boatload of rebates or refunds. Envoy has een around and these were just niceties they put in.

apzer09 said:
No offense, but the Denali is still tuned more like an SUV. It's not lowered or beefed up like the 9-7 is. And the interior is styled like the lesser Envoys. Don't get me wrong I think it's nice, it's just not what I'd buy when there's something different like the Saab for sale for cheaper.
And what is the 9-7...a sports car?? Beefed up how?? The 9-7is built on a truck platform and will drive like a truck. It's not a crossover, its an SUV.

As for the styling inside, the 9-7x has the same radio a base Envoy SLE has. They do not even offer the touch screen NAV that the Denali has. Otherwise, they enjoy the same creature comforts. Wood grain is the same color, shifte rhandle is the same. Seats are the same except for the stitiching.

As for being cheaper, price out a top of the line V8 9-7x and add $1600 if you were even allowed to get the NAV. Tell me which is cheaper then. GMC will offer rebates and MSRP cuts on the Denali that Saab couldnt touch

Do some homework beofre you make some statements about a car you obviously have no idea about.

A

·
0 Posts
NY_Joe said:
Do some homework beofre you make some statements about a car you obviously have no idea about.
I could say the same to you, since you had no idea the Saab had been lowered an inch, has a larger front stabilizer bar, and completely different suspension tuning than the Envoy. The Envoy doesn't really mask the fact it's a truck, at least the Saab tries, and from what I've heard, has success in. Let's not give potential buyers the wrong idea here. Even recognizing the fact that you can't get the NAV system on the Saab, it does come standard with XM radio, CD changer, and a few more features that are options on the Denali. I know this because I've actually done some research.

I'm not trying to get into a *****ing war with you, it's just that I have done my homework and I'm not the loser making half-assed comments that you think I am.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts