·
Registered
5,673 Posts
what happened man?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Condolences

I am sorry. Can help find parts if necessary. There are two verts in my local pull a part, but shipping from Atlanta could be expensive.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bob...there are a couple at the pull and pay's here too. Looks like the hood (obviously), the bumper, radiator support and the radiator are the biggies. Oh, and the airbag...man if you've never been punched in the face with one of those...

I've almost almost got the hood open. It's hanging up in the driver corner on something but can't figure out what. Once that's open I'll be able to see more of what's going on, but it steers and brakes like normal and it was running fine after impact...I shut it down myself. Engine looks like it didn't get pushed back even a mm so I'm pretty confident it looks worse than it is.

I will say this...all that stuff you hear about safety and Saabs is true. The car took a pretty good hit. I popped the corner of a Cherokee who was probably 15mph at impact and I was probably 15mph too. Didn't even crack the windshield Both doors open fine. If it didn't pee out all its coolant I could have driven it home if I had to.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Easy fix! :p

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK gurus...Looking at radiators and have found two. There's a Nissens for about $115 and a Spectra-Premium for about $50 more. They both look the same from the specs so my question is, obviously, anyone have experience with differences in radiators? I don't mind dropping an extra $50 if there's a good reason...but...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Oh no that's terrible. Hope you can get it fixed and it be right.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If Nissens is decent enough that's good enough for me! ;ol; :)

Hey FoxFader, welcome to the board! My son is out at Benning right now so familiar with your 'hood. In fact, I saw beeyooootiful black vert while I was out there a couple months ago. That wasn't you was it?

·
Registered
556 Posts
If Nissens is decent enough that's good enough for me! ;ol; :)

Hey FoxFader, welcome to the board! My son is out at Benning right now so familiar with your 'hood. In fact, I saw beeyooootiful black vert while I was out there a couple months ago. That wasn't you was it?
No that wan't me. I work at a Rivertown Ford here and someome traded a 98 900 SE. After taking a good look at the car, it only took me a day to see things in Saab that I haven't seen in most other cars. Anyway, if you son needs a car or anything, I'm the web Asst. Mgr. Have him come see me.

Troy

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool...I'll let him know for sure. He's a Ferd Truck guy himself so he'll be happy to know he has a friend out that way ;ol;

·
Registered
556 Posts
Cool...I'll let him know for sure. He's a Ferd Truck guy himself so he'll be happy to know he has a friend out that way ;ol;
Cool. Always honest friendly service here. The owner will have it no other way.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
It really looks that way - the fender looks OK and that is the hardest part pretty much to work with... looks like "unbolt bent stuff" and then "bolt in not bent stuff", plus only the hood is painted, so you might even be able to avoid paintwork.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Photos

Scantar, could you please post pictures of the front of your car after you remove the damaged hood, bumper, and radiator support. Many of us would love to see if your car escaped damage on any non-bolt on parts of the body. If you had no damage to the body structure, I would be really impressed with Saab C900's strength.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
I can now tell it's a slope front from these pics,
as your description goes, it's a bolt on repair jobbie, so not a bad scenario as it might have been, although still a PIB
The bonnet(hood) might be locked in by the slider/reciever rod hook getting bent when the accident occured hence no release, probably just a straight cut the bonnet off at the corners, then you ca see, as your replacement one will just hang down on the front/wings with the 'H' frame removed

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll give a check to that corner rod. Failing an easy breakaway...

I plan on taking pics as it comes apart. I'm going to try and make quick work of it as this is my dd these days. Or I should say was my dd!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Just pull off the really bad stuff and then drive it naked, it is summer anyway and you can have a "SAAB OF DOOM" like Richard Pryor did in that movie :p Hot rods don't have hoods, why should you?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Definitely check all the front of the body for damage not just replace the stuff that was broken. Remember that the front fender panels are not bolted on - they are welded, so hopefully they aren't damaged in a way that isn't simpe to fix.

Stuff to look at with be all of the front especially the metalwork joining the two sides of the engine bay together. Anywhere that has welds needs checked to see if the welds have let go.

Depending how hard the hit was, get the car checked to make sure the body alightment is still ok. When my red 89 900i got it's rear end hit at the left corner, the car had to be put into a special machine to get the panels back to proper shape while keeping the rest of the car fixed in place after it was checked to make sure no major structural misalignment had occured.

Since the car has SRS airhags (so glad my 92 2.1 hatchback does not!) you will have to get the airbag module replaced and there are special processes to follow for that. I detest the idea of explosive charges so close to my body and our Prado's at work are full of airhags. Hate to be in one in a crash.

Craig.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Since the car has SRS airhags (so glad my 92 2.1 hatchback does not!) you will have to get the airbag module replaced and there are special processes to follow for that. I detest the idea of explosive charges so close to my body and our Prado's at work are full of airhags. Hate to be in one in a crash.

Craig.
There are probably explosive charges in the seatbelt reels as well ;) Why hate to be one in a crash if it is helpful? You'd probably end up like Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man with that foam stuff :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts