SaabCentral Forums banner

261 - 280 of 298 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
wouldnt it be better to spend the 1000$ and buy a aem stand alone fuel managment system or a f conv pro? wouldnt your car be faster in the long run with less work.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I have as much hp as many other people with t5 suite road tuned. The fastest ng900 from nordic that ran 10.4 at 142mph in the 1/4 mile and made over 600bhp had the regular trionic sw tuned in a similar way t5 suite does it and it has the stock bpc in the car!

Here is a dyno from my car that I custom road tuned with t5 suite, 513whp sae in Denver... Turbo is maxed out, I don't think a stand alone could do any better and I would bet money on it.

John

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
turbotim said:
wouldnt it be better to spend the 1000$ and buy a aem stand alone fuel managment system or a f conv pro? wouldnt your car be faster in the long run with less work.

No, not at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
if the ECU adapts that much, then how much of a difference does it make to choose one tuner over another? I'd assume that the application of stages by each company is a rough standard of what that stage can achieve, but not straight across the board...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't know exactly what you're aiming at here... how does adaption correlate to performance in the sense that it will adapt to fuel (AFR)?
The fuel adaption is created to adapt for a weaker FPR/pump etc.
Boost adaption for wastegateactuator differences etc...
Adaption doesn't directly improve performance nor does it make a tune safe/unsafe. That is up to the tuner.
If the tuner decides to advance ignition so much that RON95 will cause pinging i'd say that is no problem if it's a stage 4+ and the driver is told to fill up with 98 only. If this is done on a stage 2 or so and the tune is done without seeing the driver (internet sales) and doesn't know to fill up with 98 that it might be. The ECU will retard ignition of course but i'd say the tune could be better in that case.
Also, some tuners run for example 1.3 bar of boost on a stage 3 (talking T5 here) while others run 1.25 or 1.4 even... that will make a difference. That's only the differences in the tune... not even talking about differences in the car ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
You're right- my question was definitely vague. Mostly because I wasn't really sure what I was asking either. Just trying to put feelers out there so as to learn.

So an ECU adapts to certain readings as one function. A second function is to tune certain factors (which ones?). Any third or fourth functions of the ECU?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Forgive the noob question; I need a CAN usb, a power supply, and what to make t5 suite work? Secondly, is it possible to just use the car as the power supply while I tune in car with my laptop? i have looked over the t5 suite owners manual and while it seems very helpful once I have the thing hooked up, getting there is vague at best.
Do I have run some sort of software aside from t5 to make it all come together?
I hate to ask this here, but ecuproject isnt letting me in(no I wasnt banned, I never got in)
Thanks,
Cm

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was going to buy the CAN usb tomorrow, if anyone can possible enlighten me in anyway possible.
_Cm
There's a couple of things here if think.

The CANUSB adapter (www.canusb.com, make sure you get the lawicel unit!) lets you tune the ECU live, while the engine is running. This means you will be working in the ECU's working memory (RAM, just like in a normal computer, which will be lost if the unit it disconnected from the battery). Before you can do this, you must "unlock" the ECU. This is done by writing a new program (with altered settings) into the ECU and this can be done by either CANUSB or BDM of which BDM is the safest way. If CANUSB fails to program the ECU (it happens) then BDM is the only way to recover the ECU (BDM costs about 15US$ but requires win98 or DOS and a parallel port to operate).

If you go out and tune the car on the car via CANUSB you'll be altering settings in RAM (as mentioned before). To make the changes static you will have to reflash the ECU again (i do this once every couple of month after making several changes of course). So, best thing to do is to reflash the ECU initially with a basemap that is "unlocked" and pretty close to what you're after fuel, ignition and boost wise. Then finetune using CANUSB and reflash after you're satisfied.

Hope this helps!
/Guido

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Ok, I think I get it. Bear with me....
1) A BDM can be used to save the ECU and tune the ECU-but not in car/live?

2) A CAN usb can be used to tune the ECU live, but will only work for one session, then when the car is restarted it must be reloaded as RAM will be lost?????? What do you mean by reflash again? Why doesnt the first flash remain permanent?

3) I though these motorloa m19 ECU's had only ram (2mb), there was no other place to "write" in-meaning when you tuned the car you wrote to RAM. I dont get what you mean by static/needing to reflash.

4) When you say "unlock" the ECU, is this automatically done by t5suite? or do I need to do that weird thing with the BDM and code in delay times for processors and stuff whilst in DOS?

5) Lastly, I really want to do this with my one and only ECU. Is this really unwise, or can it be donw with relative safety?
Thanks, sorry for the questions;oops:
-Cm

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ok, I think I get it. Bear with me....
1) A BDM can be used to save the ECU and tune the ECU-but not in car/live?
The BDM is ECU out of the car and connected to the computer. It can only be used to overwrite the flashchips (permanent memory) in the ECU.

2) A CAN usb can be used to tune the ECU live, but will only work for one session, then when the car is restarted it must be reloaded as RAM will be lost?????? What do you mean by reflash again? Why doesnt the first flash remain permanent?
Canbus can be used for both. Live tuning in RAM (non-permanent memory) as well as reflash it (write flashchips like BDM but a little more risky).

3) I though these motorloa m19 ECU's had only ram (2mb), there was no other place to "write" in-meaning when you tuned the car you wrote to RAM. I dont get what you mean by static/needing to reflash.
The ECU has RAM (non-permanent) and flash (permanent) chips. RAM is cleared when the ECU is disconnected from the battery while flash is retained. Flash contains the program while RAM contains the working info for the ECU.

4) When you say "unlock" the ECU, is this automatically done by t5suite? or do I need to do that weird thing with the BDM and code in delay times for processors and stuff whilst in DOS?
Unlocking is just flipping one byte in the ECU program, so the ECU has to be flashed after that (through BDM or through CANBUS). T5Suite has this option in the firmware information dialog.

5) Lastly, I really want to do this with my one and only ECU. Is this really unwise, or can it be donw with relative safety?
Don't do this on your daily drive ECU.... see that you get a spare one from the scrapyard or from fleebay.
Thanks, sorry for the questions;oops:
-Cm
np...!

261 - 280 of 298 Posts