SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was finally able to do a solo II or autocross or whatever you what to call it. a little mini rally race. it was so much fun!!! first time, and i place second in my class, awesome. but anyways, to the point. right now, my 900S nonturbo 2.3 vert is completely stock. for this, i need some awesome handling. right now, it is ok, but i need it to be better, if i want to move up and have more fun. i was thinking about a rear sway bar. i know i could just google this, but i wouldn't get the fed back that i would like. so, if any of you know of some great suppension/springs/handling upgrades. just let me know. i should be doing another one of these on august 14. any advise would be awesome. i don't have all that much money, so cheap is always nice. and do you guys think it would be a good buy for me if i get a sport exhaust?? i've been thinking about it, but i don't know how good it does for the NT. thankz.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
There are tons of posts on this because it's a common query of n/a folks who want more power, but realize that they can really improve their car's performance by improving the handling.

Definitely search to hear all the opinions, but here's the gist of the issue:

A sport exhaust will definitely help some, as will an intake. Best bang for the buck is the rear anti-sway bar. For more bucks, do the steering rack brace and clamp. For even more dough, you should also think about lowering springs and shocks, and DEFINITELY some polyurethane control arm bushings.

Your car will definitely handle better in the twisties....

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
24mm Front sway bar off a 9-3SE and a 25mm Rear sway bar. I would recomend contacting genuinesaab.com for those parts. You would spend no more than $250 for them total.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If autocrossing is your thing, make sure to check the guidelines first. Some mods will bump you up into a class where it will be very difficult to remain competetive.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tweek's Turbos said:
24mm Front sway bar off a 9-3SE and a 25mm Rear sway bar. I would recomend contacting genuinesaab.com for those parts. You would spend no more than $250 for them total.

:x am i blind or just a retard. i can't find either front or rear sway bar for my NA on genuinesaab.com!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DFroelich said:
If autocrossing is your thing, make sure to check the guidelines first. Some mods will bump you up into a class where it will be very difficult to remain competetive.
yeah, i know. but i'm more into it to have fun. also, i'll have my tires better pressured for it, and with much better handling, i would be able to hang with more then half the people there. and it being my second time next time, and some of these guys have been doing it for like 5 years, i'll be very happy with that.
:D

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
The biggest handling increases came for me with the rear sway bar ( I doubled mine up) and poly bushings. Both will make you go wow!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Poly bushings will make everything just feel very tight. This feeling is magnified if your car is high mileag. I was about to do this mod for every bushings in my front end, but then it got bumper on the list due to me finding the turbo on ebay. :cheesy:

·
Registered
265 Posts
which difference in "total" handling is mroe noticeable, springs or the rear sway bar?
i hate how much my suspension dips under braking and acceleration as much as body roll. Will the body roll be significantly reduced witht the rear sway bar?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
ianlax55 said:
which difference in "total" handling is mroe noticeable, springs or the rear sway bar?
They both made similar difference on my car. I put the sway bar on first. I have heard from people who upgrade to stiffer dampers and lower springs without the sway that the car doesn't improce too much.

ianlax55 said:
i hate how much my suspension dips under braking and acceleration as much as body roll. Will the body roll be significantly reduced witht the rear sway bar?
The dipping and squatting will not be effected by the sway bar upgrade. But damper upgrade will take care of this.

To recap, the sway bar is most effective in reducing body roll.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts