SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought i would take a second to share this with everyone- I had some spare time this weekend so I got around to a few things i'd been meaning to do on the car.

I just wanted to check up on a few things really- but i did take the time to clean the MAF and throttle body and WOW what a difference it made.

the maf looked pretty clean to me when i took it apart, but i sprayed some CRC maf cleaner in there anyway. There was only a little bit of oil caked to the sides of my TB- and i'm pretty sure in 87k miles it had never been cleaned before. So i scrubbed what i could out and put everything back together.

The throttle intake pipe was a bit annoying, as it kept getting in my way and i got a little frustrated with it and ended up breaking one of the plastic brackets that helps to hold it in place ;oops::cry:, but hey, i got it clean right?

Anyway- i took the car out for a test run today and throttle response is AMAZING now! i used to get a little judder while i was getting back on the clutch starting from a dead stop, and thats gone now. in between gears and shifting its just like butter, and throttle is there right away without even a split second hesitation.

so if your SAAB is feeling a bit sluggish, take 25 minutes and give the MAF and TB a good clean!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just thought i would take a second to share this with everyone- I had some spare time this weekend so I got around to a few things i'd been meaning to do on the car.

I just wanted to check up on a few things really- but i did take the time to clean the MAF and throttle body and WOW what a difference it made.

the maf looked pretty clean to me when i took it apart, but i sprayed some CRC maf cleaner in there anyway. There was only a little bit of oil caked to the sides of my TB- and i'm pretty sure in 87k miles it had never been cleaned before. So i scrubbed what i could out and put everything back together.

The throttle intake pipe was a bit annoying, as it kept getting in my way and i got a little frustrated with it and ended up breaking one of the plastic brackets that helps to hold it in place ;oops::cry:, but hey, i got it clean right?

Anyway- i took the car out for a test run today and throttle response is AMAZING now! i used to get a little judder while i was getting back on the clutch starting from a dead stop, and thats gone now. in between gears and shifting its just like butter, and throttle is there right away without even a split second hesitation.

so if your SAAB is feeling a bit sluggish, take 25 minutes and give the MAF and TB a good clean!

hopefully doing this 2mm.. any tips so i wont break anything ? lol

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont be lazy like me and unbolt the bracket near the bypass valve. it will make the pipe a hell of a lot easier to get out of the way.

other than that this is extremely easy. Do be careful with the MAF though as the little wires are VERY small and fragile- youll see what i mean when i take it apart. Just dont touch them, and youll be fine. All you have to do is spray the MAF cleaner right on them and let it evaporate.

One last thing- dont use ANYTHNG but MAF cleaner on the MAF. after reading the can for the CRC TB cleaner and the CRC MAF cleaner, it said anything other than MAF cleaner can damage the sensors.

·
Registered
247 Posts
thanks for the heads up. and cleaning the throttle body does it include just cleaning any visual dirt? or do i need any special tools for that?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the heads up. and cleaning the throttle body does it include just cleaning any visual dirt? or do i need any special tools for that?
if you call a toothbrush a special tool then yes. :cheesy: otherwise just spray some tb cleaner in there and some on the toothbrush, hold the throttle plate open, and scrub as far down as you can.

·
Registered
161 Posts
if you call a toothbrush a special tool then yes. :cheesy: otherwise just spray some tb cleaner in there and some on the toothbrush, hold the throttle plate open, and scrub as far down as you can.
I want to clean the throttle body too. You took out the tb from the engine or only the tb air intake and leaved the tb on the engine?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TB stays on the car, you need only remove the charge pipe and manually open the throttle plate to give it a clean.

CARB cleaner is ok for the TB too.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah you need to hold the throttle plate open by hand though. use ONLY MAF cleaner on the MAF. CRC makes it, it'll be at any local auto parts store im sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts