SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and some 20 weight ball bearings ought to do the job, right? RIGHT????

Seriously, what do you all think about the damage from the photo? Another great morning commute in Atlanta!!! Does the Saab have a unibody construction that I should be worried about for the extended time frame? I mean, if that's been comprimised, no telling what else further toward the front of the car has been. The drivers rear doesn't open, trunk doesn't, but the right side is unscathed as well as the drivers door. I'm really hoping that it's not going to be totalled, but still have to prepare myself for the eventual bad news.

Two other things to mention to Saab about a redesign: One, allow the rear seats to be folded down from the inside of the car when the trunk lid can't be opened - my wife's birthday presents were in there; Two, remove the "no ****" comment from the driver upon reading the SID when it said the "left rear light bulb has malfunctioned". Honestly, it should have said "wow, that was bad".

Cheers all. Yes, everyone was fine, the hittees airbags deployed, mine, thank you Saab, did not. Still one of the safest things out there.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
That looks like the 285/75 split going southbound. I don't think there will be any frame damage. It doesn't look like a hard hit especially if our airbags didn't deploy. I see new tails, trunk, driver's side quarter and bumper as far as body panels. New muffler and anything else that may be crushed underneath there. I don't think they will total the car because of that.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My condolences. None of us want to be in an accident but we all chose the right car for the occasion, if and when that day comes. What hit you and how fast were you going?

In the times I've spent in Atlanta (I used to go to Auburn and would go up there frequently to remember what a city looked like), I experienced a lot of "90 MPH rush hour" where speeds were really high and following distances were very unsafe.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I feel ill looking at it, glad you are okay.
Did the park alarm go off before impact?

Doesn't look totaled and if your going to take a hit, the rear side is probably a good place.
I assume you got rear ended and this was not a result of a spin out, as the tires look a little worn for wet road driving.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input from you all. The actual location was the entrance to 285 West from Windy Hill Road. Horrible location for a merging lane, even the cop said so.

My role was bystander, so to speak. I'd stopped to allow the traffic from the right to pass before I could merge, and she was still looking right instead of forward to see if there was stopped traffic in front of her. So me stopped, her, if I had to guess, was doing between 30-45 mph. She was driving an Altima and the front is pretty well crushed up.

The tires are fairly new and have around 4500 miles on them. The fronts had just been replaced less than six weeks ago and they're fine.

All in all, not something I'd recommend to anyone. But there has to be a first time for everything.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
At least you are ok. The Saab can be repaired. There is a way to bring the rear seats down from the inside. There is a lever under the "Airbag" plastic cap on the parcel shelf. If you remove that you can see a small lever. Depress that lever sideways and your seat will unlock. There is one on each side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts