SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking lately about an axle conversion. several different reasons like stronger CV axles etc. what would it take to make a complete axle conversion,

CV axles with matching inner tripod bushings
matching wheel bearings
rotors
A-arms??
RIMS!!

Big questions...
Rear axle is easy enough but what CV axles for the front will match up with the stock transmission?
Is it possible to keep stock CV and find 5-lug rotors with the same number of matching teeth?

Any other ideas or necessities would be much appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont trust them. ive had buddies with crappy hondas that broke adapters. and im looking for 350whp. so not a plan. thanks anyways

·
Registered
410 Posts
4bolt

hi.one thing to be aware of.you will change the dynamics. the weakest ink in the 9000 saab is the gearbox. i've heard of some 2ltr engines getting close to 500+hp. check out what the pikes peak drivers are using.but it's your money.the other thing is that spacers can change the overall balance.again it's your decision. love that car.cheers

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is it possible to keep stock CV and find 5-lug rotors with the same number of matching teeth?
I will say, you are overly paranoid about using 4-5 adapters, but it's your car, so you can do it however you want.

The only other alternative is to remove your hubs, take them to a machine shop and have them redrilled to fit the appropriate bolt pattern. If it were me, I'd go with a late model Audi pattern (5x120, I think?) as their wheel selection is A) Huge B) wide range of classically elegant styles C) a lower offset similar to the 9000.

I pursued this a few years back and there are quite a few machine shops that can do this; cost however is going to be in the $75+ per corner range.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i will have to have rotors drilled? theres not a bolt on hub from another vehicle, or cv axle's with rotors from another that will match up with the tranny?

·
Registered
80 Posts
so i will have to have rotors drilled? theres not a bolt on hub from another vehicle, or cv axle's with rotors from another that will match up with the tranny?
Here's where the fun research starts.

On he one hand, drilling the rotors will allow your existing 9000 rotors to work. However, if you have a brake failure in some remote city, how will you get a rotor to fit? On the other hand, I can't think of a brake failure that would require you to replace a rotor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts