SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Download WIS from the stickies - zero point trying to find passable paper manuals when the factory software is freely available.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could not find in stickies, but DVD-ROM on sale on evilbay, if any one need one.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I started with the Haynes back in the day when the WIS wasn't available outside a Saab dealership. It does have some good step by step procedures. Most of the time they are accurate. My complaint with ALL Haynes manuals is that they will go into the most minute detail in some areas, like dissecting a lifter into its component parts (which .01% of users will actually do)... but then in other areas like removing a console they'll guide you down to where you really need to know a "trick" to remove a part and it will say something like "then remove the six hidden fasteners and extract the console off the unseen clips". They drop you off a cliff. It's hard to fathom since they'll show (for example) the part removed from the car afterwards in a photo but they won't tell you how it came off.

That all said... the WIS takes some getting used to and often assumes knowledge you don't have since you didn't take the Saab Factory training. Or they use a special tool you can't get and they don't show an illustration of. The user interface is terrible and takes a lot of getting used to (learn about bookmarks!). Not having a Tech II can be a handicap when using the WIS. But overall it's a winner and a godsend.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
The WIS definitely leaves some things to be desired. I know there are quite a few jobs that are relatively easy if you have their board full of specialty tools, but considerably more difficult (or expensive) if you don't. I'd love to have the plastic tool that drives in the axle seals, but the only one I've found is $150 on eBay. The WIS does include some tips that you can't find anywhere else, like which of the three holes in the strut housing of a NG900 that a tab on the upper spring seat needs to line up with, and for things like that, it's indispensable.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is good. Thanks guys. I tried the online WIS version, and it does take some getting used to. I was mainly interested to diagnose my turbo. I think I am have brittle hoses or my BPC is not working.

I think I will get the Haynes manual, just to have some reading material

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
this is good. Thanks guys. I tried the online WIS version, and it does take some getting used to. I was mainly interested to diagnose my turbo. I think I am have brittle hoses or my BPC is not working.

I think I will get the Haynes manual, just to have some reading material
The normal WIS is a PITA to use. The on-line one is worse. Do the download; late night / wee hours is best for that.

Start another thread on your turbo issues. There's a lot of expertise here that can usually narrow down the problem for you.

If you do buy the Haynes, try not to pay more than $26 for it. Some sellers are gouging.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info BobSaabit! I did download the WIS now i need to find a windows machine to run it in.

Also, ordered the haynes manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts