SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Make sure that the eBay kit is for your model. I've gone through this with my 9-5. An eBay part listed for the right year but for a 9-3.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Which one is it though? I saw a "kit" on ebay for turbo oil and water lines for like 120ish, I wouldn't mind getting the whole kit and doing them all. But I don't know what that kit includes (nothing in the pics looked remotely close to what I have)

I think the pipe is the oil feed pipe to the turbo.. Can anyone clarify?
Have you checked the exploded parts diagram on eSAABparts.com?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Have you checked the exploded parts diagram on eSAABparts.com?
Yes I have. I also have the EPC. It does appear to be the oil delivery line, I also am afraid of replacing it cause WIS says I have to take off my cat..... I am so afraid of bolts breaking/sensors breaking...

However, I do have an exhaust leak up there somewhere so I kind of want to take it apart.
Make sure that the eBay kit is for your model. I've gone through this with my 9-5. An eBay part listed for the right year but for a 9-3.
Yeah, I am concerned about that.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Yes I have. I also have the EPC. It does appear to be the oil delivery line, I also am afraid of replacing it cause WIS says I have to take off my cat..... I am so afraid of bolts breaking/sensors breaking...

However, I do have an exhaust leak up there somewhere so I kind of want to take it apart.

Yeah, I am concerned about that.
It's a huge pain, not gonna lie. But you'll feel great after you get it done. If you have to take off the cat/downpipe, be prepared to have to drill out exhaust studs. Maybe you'll get lucky with penetrating oil and a torch though. Order new studs and nuts ahead of time.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's a huge pain, not gonna lie. But you'll feel great after you get it done. If you have to take off the cat/downpipe, be prepared to have to drill out exhaust studs. Maybe you'll get lucky with penetrating oil and a torch though. Order new studs and nuts ahead of time.
Ha well 2 out of 3 cat-to-exhaust elbow are already drilled out and replaced. It is the cat to turbo I am most afraid of. I highly doubt I will get away with penetrating oil and a torch. Also, I have been replacing with just regular bolts and a nut, are studs better or just easier to get together?

Second, anyone know the length of the turbo to cat bolt length? I wouldn't mind getting 3 of those with matching nuts before doing it, but never saw em in person to know what length to get. I also think that is where my exhaust leak is.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh, but an update to the lights....

I have already cleaned the connectors and used dielectric grease. But dummy me only did the "positive" contacts. When I looked at the part that holds the bulbs, I noticed the "negative/ground" terminals were basically black. Used my dremel and cleaned everything up and added dielectric grease to all points of contact and so far so good. Seems to be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Ha well 2 out of 3 cat-to-exhaust elbow are already drilled out and replaced. It is the cat to turbo I am most afraid of. I highly doubt I will get away with penetrating oil and a torch. Also, I have been replacing with just regular bolts and a nut, are studs better or just easier to get together?

Second, anyone know the length of the turbo to cat bolt length? I wouldn't mind getting 3 of those with matching nuts before doing it, but never saw em in person to know what length to get. I also think that is where my exhaust leak is.
Just make sure you get some good grade 10.9 stainless nuts and bolts and you'll be fine. I don't think there's any issue with ditching the studs.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just make sure you get some good grade 10.9 stainless nuts and bolts and you'll be fine. I don't think there's any issue with ditching the studs.
Yep that is what I got. Now, since I am removing the cat... I really wanna buy a race cat and install that instead xD but I heard issues about exhaust sensors and stuff since my 03 has the stupid SAI, plus I really don't have the money sadly

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Also, should the oil be drained before I do this? And if I get the kit, which financially seems more reasonable since the oil delivery line is like 120, do I have to drain the coolant too??? I can't find anything in the WIS for the coolant lines, but for the oil lines, it doesn't say to drain oil nor does it appear that it is assumed..

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Honestly not sure on that. Couldn't hurt to drain both.
Draining the coolant is annoying, cause it never fully drains. I had to drain it to fix my thermostat and it made a huge mess. If I drain the oil i'll just do an early oil change then. Definitely won't hurt, but definitely is annoying haha.

Also, can a simple wrench be used to remove the O2 sensors? Or do I need a special tool?

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Draining the coolant is annoying, cause it never fully drains. I had to drain it to fix my thermostat and it made a huge mess. If I drain the oil i'll just do an early oil change then. Definitely won't hurt, but definitely is annoying haha.

Also, can a simple wrench be used to remove the O2 sensors? Or do I need a special tool?
For the O2, just use an adjustable crescent wrench, I find that's easiest. Unless you have a honkin' 22mm wrench, I think it is.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts