SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
04 9-3 Aero, 08 9-3 Aero, 09 2.0T XWD
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 04 9-3 Aero, and it's clocking 150k very soon.

So it's got a clattery engine (sometimes) and when it gets into 5th gear (auto) it can be rough and I have no idea why.

I'm thinking of grabbing an engine and trans from a 2010.

Is the trans compatible with my current engine or am I to swap the thing in it's entirety? I'm thinking of going the partial rebuild route. Or at least completely swapping the trans if compatible and swapping the engine parts that I need.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump, I've got nowhere else I can ask.

2010 auto 5 speed transmission mated to an 04 engine? possible y/n?

Also, Turbo swapping. Can anyone confirm compatibility?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Are they compatible in the most basic of senses? Yes. There will be slight variations with sensors but if you have your old motor you should be able to swap them over.

I would be VERY hesitant to use an engine from that year though as the valve issue is of such high occurrence.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Your "clattery" engine is likely the balance chain and the rough without further clarification could be the coils going. They tend to show signs of failure in the higher gears first.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've swapped coils. I've got 2 sets of spares (yes 8) in case of anything.

It just sounds like a diesel sometimes or at least when compared to the several other 9-3's I've been in.

As for the valve issues, I think it's a bit more blown up than it actually is (that's just me though)

I get this weird roughness in 5th gear that I've had since owning the car (4+ years) and if I slap it into manu-matic mode, it's really rough. It doesn't happen always but it definitely happens often. You'll be accelerating on a ramp or even accelerating from a slow down and it will make a deep hum (nothing too noticeable unless you're the one driving) and feel rough at the throttle until it 'pushes' past that rev range.

I'd like to replace the transmission ideally. I'm just not 100% on compatibility.

Would I keep my tcm? what about the input and output sesnors, NS Switch?

I don't have the option of grabbing another year's trans cheaply except for this 2010 and I wanna keep this 04 going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.