SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum but I joined to ask a few questions about my 2004 SAAB 9-3 Linear. ( ...so be kind :cheesy: )

1. The insignia on the back says it's a 2.0T, but the VIN decoder tells me the car shipped with a 2.0t engine... do you think I got an upgrade since then, or is the trunk a liar? Is there any place I could look for a part number for a 2.0T turbocharger? (Bear in mind I was also told that the car had the "chrome package" when I asked why the SAAB logo on the hood wasn't colored. :roll: )

2. The brakes and rotors need to be completely replaced as they are worn pretty thin. (ouch) The mechanic pointed out that the vehicle most likely had shipped with 15'' wheels due to the rotors on it now, even though the car has 16'' wheels on it currently. Should I put rotors for 16'' wheels on it? Is there any benefit to trying to use the rotors for a 16'' wheel?

3. I've had the car for just over a year now, and have had a low beam bulb burn out on me three times! Please tell me this is not normal, and can be fixed. A new bulb every 4 months is a bit excessive I think. Also they seem to be rather dim even though I'm using Osram Nightbreakers.

4. I had a turn signal bulb burn out on the right hand, front so I figured I'd go ahead and replace the lot with some Osram Diadem bulbs for looks. The old bulb looked fine though and the new Osram that works fine in a different spot doesn't work in that socket. I checked all of the fuses and the wires in the socket all look to be in good condition. This one has me stumped, any sage advice?

Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
1. All Linears had 2.0t engine. Badge was probably replaced incorrectly (wreck?) or swapped by original owner.

Chrome edition is funny.

2. All Linears had same brakes. Probably won't see a change going to a bigger rotor alone.

3. Bulbs blowing seems to be a common issue. Make sure you don't tough the bulb as oils from your skin create hotspots on the bulb. Also, make sure the rubber cover is secure so no moisture can get in.

4. Odd. Headlight wires melting is not uncommon. Could be something you can't see.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If its a linear, its going to have the 2.0t in the US. Anyways, an easy way to check is to take off the engine cover and look at the oil filter housing. If you see B207L its a 2.0t, now if you see a B207R its a 2.0T - Oh about the headlights, I recommend upgrading to xenon, much longer bulb life.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If its a linear, its going to have the 2.0t in the US. Anyways, an easy way to check is to take off the engine cover and look at the oil filter housing. If you see B207L its a 2.0t, now if you see a B207R its a 2.0T - Oh about the headlights, I recommend upgrading to xenon, much longer bulb life.
Is upgrading to xenon headlights an expensive process?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Nightbreaker and Extreme's are notorious for short lifespans (several past threads) , drop down to CB's (cool blues) and you'll triple the lifespan.....

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You cannot simply change the rotors to a 16" (Wheel size) unless you wanted to do the calipers too.

also badge might have been replaced or it is a linear. Check, also do you have an ICM2?

·
Registered
85 Posts
ICM2 is the headunit. The SID is the display on top of the dash. The ICM2 is another lcd screen where the radio controls are.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ICM2 is the headunit. The SID is the dispal on top of the dash. The ICM2 is another lcd screen where the radio controls are.
oh, then no... no lcd on my radio... just the buttons.

which reminds me: is there any way to add digital radio (broadcast, not satellite) without tearing out the stock radio in such a way that the SID would work with it?

I know, too many questions. ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is upgrading to xenon headlights an expensive process?
People have generally had good luck with both the Apexcone Raptor 55W and DDM Slim 55W sold at the link for $40 and $60 dollars respectively. I am personally biased towards the Apexcones and 5000k bulbs (note that these are real xenon's unlike nightbreakers) http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=85&pg=1

Also take a look at this thread on the topic (you may want to skip to the last dozen pages...) http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113207

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
People have generally had good luck with both the Apexcone Raptor 55W and DDM Slim 55W sold at the link for $40 and $60 dollars respectively. I am personally biased towards the Apexcones and 5000k bulbs (note that these are real xenon's unlike nightbreakers) http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=85&pg=1

Also take a look at this thread on the topic (you may want to skip to the last dozen pages...) http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113207
Thanks for the info Ignatius... I just got done reading that thread... all 36 pages.

I am leaning toward 55w DDM slims with 8000k bulbs (or maybe 6000k, I don't need any traffic tickets)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks for the info Ignatius... I just got done reading that thread... all 36 pages.

I am leaning toward 55w DDM slims with 8000k bulbs (or maybe 6000k, I don't need any traffic tickets)
i have 10,000K and never had a problem, its the in between of 8000K cool blue and 12,000K Intense dark blue, i had 8000K previously and moved to 10,000K the difference was very small.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If its a linear, its going to have the 2.0t in the US. Anyways, an easy way to check is to take off the engine cover and look at the oil filter housing. If you see B207L its a 2.0t, now if you see a B207R its a 2.0T
I looked for this number on the Oil Filter Housing, but I wasn't able to find either one... can you give me any more detailed instructions on where to find the number?

:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts