SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
These forums have been really helpful so far with my new 1997 900 S, but I have a couple questions that my searching has turned up poor answers to.

Currently, the (manual) transmission has some kind of Royal Purple transmission fluid in it from the previous owner. It has a tendency to grind going into third unless the revs are matched very well, which I have read is not an uncommon issue. Will renewing the transmission fluid help alleviate this symptom? And should I keep the Royal Purple brand fluid, or go to "SAAB OIL NO 8748733"?

The A/C is not working well. It sometimes blows cold air, but is usually just ambient temperature. I can't tell if the compressor clutch is engaging, but I have a recharge kit low-pressure side gauge that indicates either "good" pressure or pressure that off-the-charts high (over 100 psi or so) which I take to mean that the compressor is engaging sometimes. I replaced the #19 and #21 fuses and the air seemed cooler, but not as cold as a well-functioning a/c should be.

Lastly, the S trim level does not have speakers in the front doors. If I remove the leather punch-outs behind the grills in the front doors, will I find live speaker leads that will allow an easy installation of some cheap generic mid range speakers?

Thank you reading.

PS - The car has 108k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Did you use the factory head unit, and was it difficult to connect to?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have an aftermarket head unit. An SE car has a Saab amplifier under the passenger kickpanel. There is a DIN cable that connects from the Saab head unit to that amp, which then sends only low-frequency signals to the door speakers. The only way to connect speakers to the stock head unit is to either buy or fashion your own DIN cable to specially connect to the back of the head unit, and supply your own amp. There are a couple threads on here somewhere about that I think

1 - 4 of 4 Posts