SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys i just had a couple of questions i thought one of you guys might be able to answer. First i am gonna change my oil for the first time and i needed to know what size crush washer i needed for the drain plug. my second question was if i change to a aftermarket stereo will my steering wheel controls still be able to work with the aftermarket stereo? thanks for you time!!!! also i am gonna use Mobile 1 15-50 and a supertech filter is that good or is the fram filter better? Thanks Again

·
Registered
365 Posts
nocluetim said:
In my opinion the 15W50 may be too thick for the winter months. For filters I stick with OEM.
Hey, you live in Wisconsin, what type and weight oil do you run in the winter?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The controls for your stereo will only work if you buy a PESWIV converter for it. Something like this:

They cost about $35-$50.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
myleshouston said:
also i am gonna use Mobile 1 15-50 and a supertech filter is that good or is the fram filter better? Thanks Again
In winter use 0w-40, 15w-50 will be hell on your start up in the winter... thats even too thick for the summer. Use 5w-30 / 5w-40 summer. 10w-40 summer max!

And fram is crap. Pleas spend the extra few dollars and get a K&N or the most expensive NAPA kind..

Napa auto parts will have the washer size in the computer system.

Go in and tell them your car model info and they will get it for you.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Few will know the crush washer size, including me and those who sell them - they go by a listing which is not always correct...

I just reuse the old, 80 to 90% of the time..

Fram has very poor press, I have used Fram with OK results.

Do some "BITOGing", a library of oil and filter info exists there.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
myleshouston said:
Hey Guys i just had a couple of questions i thought one of you guys might be able to answer. First i am gonna change my oil for the first time and i needed to know what size crush washer i needed for the drain plug. my second question was if i change to a aftermarket stereo will my steering wheel controls still be able to work with the aftermarket stereo? thanks for you time!!!! also i am gonna use Mobile 1 15-50 and a supertech filter is that good or is the fram filter better? Thanks Again
Regarding the filter NAPA gold I think is one of the best and not as expensive as OEM. Buy the crush washer at the dealer they're so inexpensive .

For the radio information as well as interfacing with it through the steering wheels read my thread
http://www.93forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=37

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just get a new drain plug at autozone for $3.99 or a magnetic one for $5.99, it'll come with a new crush washer. It's a 14mm washer if I recall. Good peace of mind. Flush the motor with a 1/2 a can of Berryman's Chemtool B-12 and run the motor for 20 mins before draining your oil.

Your engine will thank you for it.

I use Purolater Pure-One filters, they are excellent filters and inexpensive.

Shell Rotella Synthetic (blue jug, black cap) 15W40 is $16 for a 4 gallon jug at Wallymart. Works great in the Saab motor.

-zen

myleshouston said:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zenbeer said:
Just get a new drain plug at autozone for $3.99 or a magnetic one for $5.99, it'll come with a new crush washer. It's a 14mm washer if I recall. Good peace of mind. Flush the motor with a 1/2 a can of Berryman's Chemtool B-12 and run the motor for 20 mins before draining your oil.

Your engine will thank you for it.

I use Purolater Pure-One filters, they are excellent filters and inexpensive.

Shell Rotella Synthetic (blue jug, black cap) 15W40 is $16 for a 4 gallon jug at Wallymart. Works great in the Saab motor.

-zen

Does napa or carquest sell that chemtool and i just add it to the oil and drive for twenty mins. then drain the oil?Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
They'll have that or Seafoam, which is weaker than the Chemtool B-12.

If you use Seafoam just use a full can. The Chemtool is more effective as a flush IMHO.

-zen

myleshouston said:
Does napa or carquest sell that chemtool and i just add it to the oil and drive for twenty mins. then drain the oil?Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Engine Flush is best on younger engines...

When flushing your engine, let the engine IDLE for 20 minutes. If you drive it, you risk causing damage.
This is because the flush acts like a solvent on oil, like paint thinner on paint.
This dilluted oil is not as protective under stresses, and you should not drive until after you finish changing it.

Seafoam and Chemtool are good if you use them from day one, but watch out for any engine flush if you have a high milage engine.
It does get rid of gums and varnishes, but sometimes that gum might be filling a crack or leak.

After I flushed my engine, I developed a leak in my distributer, which fouled up my camshaft position sensor (built into the distributor) and required
replacement. Well, SAAB doesn't sell that part seperately, so that was a $300 replacement. (And this was only after 75k on the engine :confused:
I also had another car with over 150k on it that developed a persistent oil leak which I never fixed as I totaled the car on black ice a month later.
But thinking back, it all started right after that motor flush...

So if you buy the car early in it's life, it's a great habit to get into.
Just be wary on higher milage engines. It might do more harm than good.​

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
white96850turbo said:
What do you guys think of BOSCH oil filters? Is the NAPA Gold, K&N type, or mobil 1 filters better?
A good question at BITOG.
I believe serveral companies manufacture filters(and many other products) world-wide ; brand names mean little today...

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Bosch are the same as Supertech. Supertech are a great value. 15W50 is not the optimal oil for northern winters. You could buy a couple of bottles of 5W30 and thin it down a bit to bring it into the "40" range.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Guys i ended up going with mobile one 5w-30 for this winter i live in so. dak. and it can get pretty cold! I went with a napa gold oil filter. The change went good my old oil didn't look that dirty yet which is good. :cheesy: i noticed that the synthetic smoothed out my idle and seemed to give me a tad more power! Thanks for all the advise and tips!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts