SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a couple quick questions about the 9-5

Specifically the 3.0L V6 from 2000.

I am going to be replacing the wheel bearing on my sister-in-law's 9-5 (and yes I know it is one the ones that requires a press, I am prepared).

I know she is terrible for vehicle maintenance (i.e. she has driven on the bad bearing for a month, just mentioned it to me last night, and thinks oil changes are an annual event, among other things - it drives me crazy), and I don't know much about the V6

Does it take the same size oil filter as the B205/235? (I have a few around for my 9-3, EEuroparts lists the same filter, just wanted to be sure)

What is the recommended oil/ how much does it take? (I am assuming my go-to Mobil1 0W-40 would work, but I dont know how much to have on hand)

Does it take the same spark plugs, and are they gapped to about .9mm?

Air filter looks different on EEuro, so I cannot use one from my stash of ng900/9-3 parts, any brand recommendations?

Is there anything else I should do while I have the car? (and don't say timing belt, I will not do that on a V6 myself). I am thinking about something like the idler pulley on the B205/235 that likes to grenade itself.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Hi, a couple quick questions about the 9-5

Specifically the 3.0L V6 from 2000.

I am going to be replacing the wheel bearing on my sister-in-law's 9-5 (and yes I know it is one the ones that requires a press, I am prepared).

I know she is terrible for vehicle maintenance (i.e. she has driven on the bad bearing for a month, just mentioned it to me last night, and thinks oil changes are an annual event, among other things - it drives me crazy), and I don't know much about the V6

Does it take the same size oil filter as the B205/235? (I have a few around for my 9-3, EEuroparts lists the same filter, just wanted to be sure)

What is the recommended oil/ how much does it take? (I am assuming my go-to Mobil1 0W-40 would work, but I dont know how much to have on hand)

Does it take the same spark plugs, and are they gapped to about .9mm?

Air filter looks different on EEuro, so I cannot use one from my stash of ng900/9-3 parts, any brand recommendations?

Is there anything else I should do while I have the car? (and don't say timing belt, I will not do that on a V6 myself). I am thinking about something like the idler pulley on the B205/235 that likes to grenade itself.

Thanks in advance!
Woot woot welcome to the 2k Saab V6 club!

I do oil changes every 3500 miles using 5w-30 but, 0w-30 is also very popular. I use 5w-30 because thats what my mechanic puts in.

Oil filter not 100% sure but if Eeuro says its the same part I would assume that it is since they are a reputable site.

These spark plugs: Amazon.com: Spark Plug NGK BKR7ES11 Saab 9-5: Automotive usually can be found at autozone this is just the first link that popped up and also what I use.

And are you talking about the cabin air filter or the air filter in the engine bay? Engine bay air filter: Mann-Filter C 18 143 Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive You can also go with a K&N drop in filter as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

I was thinking Engine Air Filter this time around.

I guess it is off to a local autoparts store for the air filter and plugs. I don't have time to order anything from EEuro, it usually takes a week or more to get to me, and I am doing everything else on Sunday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts