SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Saab 9-3 and the A/C is blowing cold every now and then but not all the time. My mechanic checked it out...said he's 95% sure the DICE unit is bad. Any idea where that is? Am I going to have to take it some where to get it done or can I do it myself?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have a 1999 Saab 9-3 and the A/C is blowing cold every now and then but not all the time. My mechanic checked it out...said he's 95% sure the DICE unit is bad. Any idea where that is? Am I going to have to take it some where to get it done or can I do it myself?
Swapping the DICE out has it's challenges -- The unit is pretty easy to get to, under the dash on the left side. On your '99, pretty sure the dice is on the firewall. Was relocated to above the underdash relay box in 2000.

Simply remove the panel under the steering column to gain access.

The problem is that the DICE is a key player in the car's security. Properly done, the DICE would have to be re-programmed with the car's VIN.

On the 99, think the only bit that is also tied to the DICE via the VIN is the radio. The later cars also have the engine ECU and instrument cluster tied in as well.

So, basic problem, chance the DICE, the radio won't work, car might not start or run.

From your description, I'm guessing that the A/C compressor is not running most of time. Yes, the DICE could be shutting it down. The DICE uses throttle position, engine temp, A/C pressures, ambient air temp sensor and the a/c switch as control inputs. Any problem with those, or the DICE could shut down the A/C system.

Not sure I'd blame the DICE first, but I'm not sure what all your mechanic has checked. If he has eliminated the more likely causes, the DICE is certainly a possibility.

·
Registered
493 Posts
also might be NTC resistor used as anti-frost sensor...

located on freon return line at evaporator under passenger dash. Sensor resistance should be less than 10 Kohms at 85 F. NTC means resistance increases as temperature decreases. If temporarily replaced with a 10 Kohm resistor and compressor runs all the time, then a new NTC anti-frost sensor is needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
located on freon return line at evaporator under passenger dash. Sensor resistance should be less than 10 Kohms at 85 F. NTC means resistance increases as temperature decreases. If temporarily replaced with a 10 Kohm resistor and compressor runs all the time, then a new NTC anti-frost sensor is needed.
Sounds like that could be the problem....do you know how to get to it?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Type of A/F switch on 1999 9-3 is on/off not NTC

In the 1999 9-3 which applies to your car (I just re-read your initial post), the anti-frost (A/F) switch is the on/off type rather than NTC resistor type. Per WIS, the switch opens at 3 C (37 F); i.e. no continuity or open circuit. Switch closes (continuity) when temperature rises to 8 C (46 F). Temperatures may vary by +/-0.8 C. A/F switch connector is under passenger dash near firewall requiring removal of glove box, knee panel, ventilation duct, and right side panel of center console. A/F switch connector harness should have a green/gray and black wire. You may want to download and install a copy of the OG 9-3 WIS for more detailed and illustrated instructions. http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/general/index.html?bID=261526

·
Registered
19,173 Posts
Could be the DICE, but I've never seen anyone with a bad one before out of thousands and thousands of posts. Not saying it can't happen, but I would want an A/C expert to make sure everything else is exactly in spec first.

As noted, you need to bring it to a tech for installation and Tech II integration. You could pick one up on Ebay and give it a shot.

Be sure to report back and let us know how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts