SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C radiator fan is bad and I need to replace it. I called around and prices range from 275.00 to 450.00 for a new replacement. I am wondering if anyone has used an aftermarket fan successfully or had the SAAB original rebuilt ?

The car is a 1990 turbo 900.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
WRECKER YARD! buying new one is not an economical choice!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah the new ones are outrageous...I'm going thru that right now trying to find one for a friend of mine, the cooling fan side. Try these used parts guys, cheaper than new that's for sure.

http://www.english-swedish.com/

http://www.volvosaabparts.com/

I know where there's a fan motor and blade here in Atlanta, if you are interested. It's a pull-a-part junkyard, I saw it saturday while looking for my friend's cooling fan blade.
You said A/C fan? sure it's the A/C fan (driver's side) and not the cooling fan (passenger's side)? Just checking.
I think the fan blade is $11, the motor is maybe $15 or something. I could pull it for you-but wouldn't be able to get there until the weekend. Could possibly run down there after work this week if you are desperate. Just email me, or give the above links a try. Good luck-
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need the A/C fan. You can feel the play in the motor and it is burning up my relays. I replace the relay with a new one and it lasts about 4 days, burned. Since I unplugged the A/C fan no more burned relay.

If you notice these fans move a lot of air. I am wondering if an aftermarket one can move the same volume? 49.00? What size and from who?
Thanks, Chris

BTW: Hu Flung, thanks for the offer but I wouldn't want to put you out and I can find one locally.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can pick up an aftermarket fan at any auto parts store like Pep Boys, Napa, Advanced, etc...any brand will do I guess. Mine didn't even have a picture on the box, so it was really generic. :cheesy:

When the one went for my A/C instead of mounting it on the radiator I put it on the front of the condenser itself. And yes, it does move alot of air. I believe the size was a 12" fan, I'd have to measure it for sure though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts