SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I am new so I hope I am posting to the right place. If not, I apologize. I'm about to buy a 2003 9-3 Vector Sedan, with 50,000 miles, for $14,990. I do not see the Vector listed often, is it a good model? The mechanic that looked at the car said it is in good condition but told the dealer the A/C was not working. The dealer tells me it is working fine, blowing cold air out. I called back the mechanic and he said when it was in his garage it was not blowing cold air. He thought it might be a compressor or an electrical problem. Definitely, not the freon - it had freon in the garage and he didn't see any leaks. He was only doing a courtesy check for me and I'd have to bring it back for a better look at the A/C, but the dealership is not going to allow that. I question the dealership, they are not a SAAB dealer, this was just in their used inventory. First they told me the few problems found were already being fixed then later said they could consede to fix them.

Question: Could the dealership have charged the A/C up, so it would work for now and in a week or so not work? If it is an electric problem, could there be other electrical problems to come? Also, consumer reports notes that 2003 9-3s as being awful. Are they? Should I just go to an actual Saab dealership to get a certified 9-3? Are their years that are better, like 2004 or 2005?

I hope you can help, I love the Saab cars but I hate to spend money and find out the A/C is just the beginning of electrical problems.

Thanks,
Barb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
BarbG said:
HI,

I am new so I hope I am posting to the right place. If not, I apologize. I'm about to buy a 2003 9-3 Vector Sedan, with 50,000 miles, for $14,990. I do not see the Vector listed often, is it a good model? The mechanic that looked at the car said it is in good condition but told the dealer the A/C was not working. The dealer tells me it is working fine, blowing cold air out. I called back the mechanic and he said when it was in his garage it was not blowing cold air. He thought it might be a compressor or an electrical problem. Definitely, not the freon - it had freon in the garage and he didn't see any leaks. He was only doing a courtesy check for me and I'd have to bring it back for a better look at the A/C, but the dealership is not going to allow that. I question the dealership, they are not a SAAB dealer, this was just in their used inventory. First they told me the few problems found were already being fixed then later said they could consede to fix them.

Question: Could the dealership have charged the A/C up, so it would work for now and in a week or so not work? If it is an electric problem, could there be other electrical problems to come? Also, consumer reports notes that 2003 9-3s as being awful. Are they? Should I just go to an actual Saab dealership to get a certified 9-3? Are their years that are better, like 2004 or 2005?

I hope you can help, I love the Saab cars but I hate to spend money and find out the A/C is just the beginning of electrical problems.

Thanks,
Barb

I do not know your mechanic but I believe that a 50,000 mile Saab the air should still work, the Saab has a slightly complicated HVAC system and he may not have paid that close attention, you maybe should if they will let you take it to a Saab dealer, this may be a bit pricier than your mechanic, but may save you alot in the end. Not all car salesmen are evil (just most).

Good luck and if you don't buy that one find yourself another, you won't regret it.


SG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SG


The mechanic I had picked to look over the car for me only works on Volvos and Saabs.

BarbG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
My AC had problem in this summer, driver vent blow cold air, other blow warm and hot air....this sucks. my left face feel cooling but right get burned.

dealer repaired it, cost $1500, container leakage, warranty covered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
BarbG said:
SG


The mechanic I had picked to look over the car for me only works on Volvos and Saabs.

BarbG
Then you may want to look for a differen't Saab:-/ The Saab, as I am finding out, is not a cheap car to have serviced or maintained.


SG
 
G

·
BarbG said:
I am new so I hope I am posting to the right place. If not, I apologize. I'm about to buy a 2003 9-3 Vector Sedan, with 50,000 miles, for $14,990. I do not see the Vector listed often, is it a good model?
Welcome to the forums BarbG. The 2003 is the first year of this model and many owners had bad experiences with reliability. However, there are many happy owners as well and all the issues could have been fixed on the one you're looking at. Getting a 2005 or later would be a safer choice.

$15K doesn't sound like a very good price. You could get a 2006 Arc 2.0T with the same engine and existing manufacturer warranty for the same price. The Vector you're looking at is probably a bit better equipped but I wouldn't take the risk. Just my opinion as a previous 2006 9-3 owner...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saab...008QQitemZ180190908467QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006...ryZ31866QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
i have an 03 and sorta have the same problem with the air. for me if i wash the fron of the car my air stops blowing cold but if it rains nothing happens. weird huh? all i have to do is disc the battery connect it again and boom. it works fine. supposedly its a faulty thermo and its like 9 bux to buy and DIY it but for now i only wash the sides and rear and i hand wash the front with minimal water. other then that my 03 is a drea, except for the creaks here and there that the doors make,.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,467 Posts
The price is too high and I would tell the salesman that you aren't buying until you know the AC is okay.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,436 Posts
As others have said, skip this one. If you want a used Saab, buy one from a Saab dealer and get the CPO warranty. You will be glad you did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,410 Posts
03Arc said:
supposedly its a faulty thermo and its like 9 bux to buy and DIY it but for now i only wash the sides and rear and i hand wash the front with minimal water.
This is the ambient air temp sensor. Replace it.
The data is actually used by both engine management and climate systems. The fact that it shows the temp on the SID is added fluff.

This is a small amount of money well spent and an easy fix.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top