SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc. The A/C does not blow cold. The fan works and the air comes out but it doesn't blow out cold. I was wondering if any others had similar A/C problems and could post what the problem was on their individual car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
980 Posts
The most common problem with any automotive a/c system with the symptoms you describe is an insufficient amount of refrigerant due to a leak. Recharging the system will often get it to blow cold once again but for how long is dependent on the size of the leak. It could last for a matter of minutes or years.

One other possibility that seems to be affecting the older 9-3's is a failing fan controller relay. This relay controls the radiator cooling fans and can cause the compressor to not engage.

Start with the basics; get the refrigerant checked first.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yup, I had the issue with the radiator fans not coming on. Turns out I had a bent male lead in my underhood electrical center that wasn't making contact with a control line from the ecm. Took me a month and 200 bucks to figure it out:cry: and all I did to fix it was press the pin with some pliers....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Reggies, can you expand on that a little? Which "underhood control center" are you referencing? The black relay box on the cooling fan shroud?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Reggies, can you expand on that a little? Which "underhood control center" are you referencing? The black relay box on the cooling fan shroud?
The UEC is the rectangular box between the battery and the drivers side fender. There are control and power lines that run from modules through that box and then go up to the ECM or various other places.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already tried to recharge my system with Freon and that did not work. The A/C Compressor still would not come on. The A/C compressor relay works fine as I tested the relay near the battery. I took a multimeter and hooked it up to the compressor and there was no power going to the compressor. What else do I do? Also, worst case scenario, how much am I looking at spending?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Are the radiator fans working? Do they come on at all? If you pull the relay box from the radiator fans you can check the resistors and see if they're ok

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, the radiator fans in the front do not come on. However, I don't know where the relay box is for the radiator fans is, and I don't know which relay is for the radiator fan (it doesn't say in the manual).

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's attached to the fans themselves on the back top of the radiator. It has a wire harness attached to it and two wire harnesses that run from it to both fan motors.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I already tried to recharge my system with Freon and that did not work. The A/C Compressor still would not come on. The A/C compressor relay works fine as I tested the relay near the battery. I took a multimeter and hooked it up to the compressor and there was no power going to the compressor. What else do I do? Also, worst case scenario, how much am I looking at spending?
Did you try to bypass the relay to see if the compressor will start? See my post here:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3660545&postcount=14
How did you manage to to recharge without the compressor running?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts