SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a new evaporator installed a few weeks ago. I hadn't run the A/C until a couple of days ago on my road trip. The A/C kept cycling between ice cold and freaking hot until it got too hot in the cabin, I just did the rest of the trip with the windows down.

When I got to my destination, I read the owner's manual and it said to try recalibrating the automatic climate control system, so I did. Now the A/C doesn't get cold and there is a strange hissing noise coming from behind my glovebox.

Any ideas on what might cause this problem?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Possible causes: too little refrigerant in the system. too much refrigerant in the system. moisture in the system. air in the system. AC compressor clutch or relay or pressure switch problem. Expansion valve problem. AC compressor problem. Etc. The hissing noise is a concern, though. Is that only pressent when running the AC?

To narrow this down, it would be helpful to know what the high and low side refrigerant gauges are reading before and during running the air conditioner. Also, can you verify that the AC compressor clutch is engaging when you turn it on to max cool?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hissing only happens when the A/C is on, it goes away in 'ECON' mode and when I shut the A/C off completely. The clutch is engaging when the system is turned on. I don't have gauges to see what my pressures are, I never worked on an A/C system.

My Saab mechanic knows Saabs, but I'm afraid he doesn't know much about A/C systems. The first attempt at finding out what was wrong with it resulted in massive amounts of R134a being pumped into my car as soon as I picked it up. Not only does that stuff stink worse than anything, it's also very dangerous to inhale. You think he would have road tested the car first before giving it back to me and found the problem himself.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's probably going to be hard to be sure without at least the high/low r134a gauges. Maybe you can take it to an AC shop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, maybe it's time I got a set of gauges. I prefer to work on my cars myself. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good evening,

Any update on this? I just got my first NG900 and I have this exact same problem. Pulled codes off the ACC and there is just a big fat 0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts