SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On our 2006 wagon w/Aero package...

A/C is not cooling the car. Did diagnostics today; it's pretty warm (86 degF), car was parked in shade but had just returned from an hour's trip.

TechII showed no error codes in the ACC system, but reported that the right side air temperature was 68 degF, while the left side air was 94 degF (cabin air temp reported at 96 degF).

Air control flap (or door, can't remember what TechII called it) was at 4%, all sun sensors were at less then .5v

Also went through the troubleshooting procedure in the WIS, which didn't give me any real direction.

I'm thinking, because of the temperature differential right/left, that it's a blend door issue. However, I get the impression from reading that the issue was largely fixed in the 2006-2008 models. Yet here we are!

Suggestions for next step(s)?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I imagine if you are not getting any blend door codes on the Tech II, and its showing appropriate values for the door opening and close, (4% should basically be ice cold air--100% open is heat if i recall correctly)

then I would think checking a/c pressure charge?

However, you can try opening up the footwells and remove the stepping motor, and manually adjust the blend door, which will either show you visually if there is any damage, or will verify that at full close (0%) you should be getting ice cold air.

If i read your post correctly the driver side is one experiencing the higher temps?

(the motor removal for driver side is a pain compared to motor removal in passenger foot well....neither is comfortable position to work)

if you continue to wonder if it may be the blend door, even without codes, and having later model set-up you can peruse the TSB's for these issues which may (?) be helpful even though, yes, they tend to skew toward the older model years 99-2004/5
http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=25128

Not sure if these were included in troubleshooting advice on the WIS?

You can also check from TechII the A/C pressure (just low side, or just high side, but not both, i forget which at moment) from the DICE menu selections.... not as good at all as a proper pressure test, but if you have it plugged in why not??

good luck!

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
I second, check the pressure on the Tech II.

You can also activate the blend door flap using the Tech II. Step it from full cold to full hot and vice versa. If you can hear it moving and the temperature does get hotter as you move it towards hot, I'd lean to low refrigerant in the A/C system (hence pressures) or other issue with the condenser.

The air duct temperature should move towards ambient temperature when the blend door is at the full cold position. Of course with the radiator fan running, the air intake for the HVAC system might be pulling in really hot air anyway.

I'd do all the tests to make sure that the blend door is in fact broken. Because it's a pain to get at, and you have a Tech II to diagnose the system.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would also try a recalibration (if you havent already?). Maybe you have.

I know its not as straightforward as on the earlier model ACC panel units, but the second post (Again saabworld! thanks saabworld friends) from this http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=28199

shows how to do it on the 2006- models

But yes, before really getting bogged down in blend door shafts take a look at the pressure, and other upstream issues....
not sure any of this is pleasant to chase down and fix, but a recharge may be simplest answer.

again best of luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone!

I ran the flap check for the driver's side, and it did indeed get hotter as I stepped up, and cooler again as I stepped back down. I'm assuming, from the discussion, that I don't have a blend door issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

HOWEVER, I couldn't find the option in the Tech II menus to read the A/C system pressure. If someone could tell me the exact menu options to get there, I'd sure appreciate it!

(And yes — I have recalibrated, several times, with no improvement.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am pretty sure the readings can be found in the DICE menu, (readings adjustments) I am out of town right now so cannot verify, but it was not too hidden as I recall in DICE.

again it will only show one of the two (hi /low) pressure readings, so its not fool proof.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I am pretty sure the readings can be found in the DICE menu, (readings adjustments) I am out of town right now so cannot verify, but it was not too hidden as I recall in DICE.

again it will only show one of the two (hi /low) pressure readings, so its not fool proof.
it is in the DICE menu. look for a/c pressurre in BAR.

Everything will shut down at 27 BAR. System is usually between 8 and 20 BAR.

Remember the Saab 95 has a variable compressor so it will vary.

Set everything for full cold and recirc and see what the pressure reads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts