SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently have had cause to use the A/C and have now noticed after owning car for 2 months that when a/c is on I have considerable bog down in starting power in mostly first gear.Even if I try to feather more gas to it, it seems the engine won't take it to rev up higher. I've had other vehicles where too much draw on the battery has affected the engine-I don't like the fact that I'll have to deal with this for the five years of summer driving that I plan on owning the car for? Any comments or similar concerns with A/C power restricting engine performance?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Every car loses some power by operating accessories. The battery has nothing to do with it. You tend to feel this drain it more with a smaller displacement engine.

Saab's ACC (Automatic Climate Control) system shuts off momentarily when a full throttle position is sensed, such as when merging into entrance ramps or when overtaking.

I'm not sure what Subarus do.

·
Registered
79 Posts
carmy said:
I recently have had cause to use the A/C and have now noticed after owning car for 2 months that when a/c is on I have considerable bog down in starting power in mostly first gear.Even if I try to feather more gas to it, it seems the engine won't take it to rev up higher. I've had other vehicles where too much draw on the battery has affected the engine-I don't like the fact that I'll have to deal with this for the five years of summer driving that I plan on owning the car for? Any comments or similar concerns with A/C power restricting engine performance?
I also notice that. I hope that it doesn't become too much of an issue for this upcoming summer. Mine also is the most noticable while accelerating from a stand still. I also hear the fan turning on quite often even when the key is just turned to ACC and the engine is off. Is that normal?

Rudi

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've noticed this too but it hasn't become too instrusive, I use to own a Land Rover discovery and when the ac kicked on you could really tell. In the 9-2x i have now, it is only really noticeable when i'm sitting in traffic (which happens all too often). The ACC uses your temperature setting to determine when it needs to cycle the fan on...if you don't want it cycling on all the time just switch it to the manual mode. I'm no expert though....
-Z

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats the single most reason why I hate using the A/C. I resist it like the plague.

But when I must use it *cough* wife in the car *cough* ...I normally turn on the in-cabin recycle air, and just turn off the a/c when I come to a stop. Then when Im back to cruising speed, I kick it back on.

Its hard on the motor either way...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts