SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
After searching high and low for posts similar, I feel the need to put up one of my own in a desperate attempt to gather useful intel to fix the wife's A/C...
'04 9-3 Linear. Manual A/C.
Yesterday it worked when I dropped her off...then later, no A/C when I went to pick her up and none since. Before it would blow ice cubes.
Tests conducted:
Fuses ok
Pressures ok
New control head (shorted wrong 2 pins on circuit board during DVOM Checks... Whoops :nono;)
On start up the compressor comes on for about 2 seconds, then off and will not cycle back on with controls. Can bypass relay and manually engage which makes it blow ice cubes again.(of course I say that figuratively)
I know they use the ground to actuate the relay... Where is it sent from?
Where can I find schematics/trouble tree-diagnostic chart?
Thank you in advance for the help!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I HAD this problem, go for a drive and when you get home take out your climate control unit and feel the unit behind it. If it is SUPER HOT like mine was the unit is getting your climate control to hot and shorting it out. My fix was to place a double folded piece of foil between the two. I will post pics!

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Foil? Foils not an insulator against heat, if anything it'll get warm too. Aside from that nobody else has a problem with the radio/amp unit getting to hot that it would hurt the panel. I'd also be Leary of putting foil in with any electronic units, it's also a conductor of electric. If anything was shorting out, that could make things even worse. Maybe for you that was the answer, I just don't wanna see anyone potentially damage their electronics by a short/static discharge from the foil. Maybe use a small piece of heavy cardboard or a piece of acrylic/plexiglas glass. Nothing is too hot where they would melt or go on fire. But they are a safer bet than the foil. It might be coincidence too, that something resets when you restart the car after running for a little while. And that insulating the panel from the ehu/amp is really doing anything. Or you had a loose connection in the a/c panels rear plug, and when you pulled it out it got moved enough to make contact again,

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well after you said that I forgot about what happens when you stick foil in the microwave;oops:, so I went out to my car and pulled it out. Mine gets way to hot and it shorted my stock A/C unit out so I bought a new one. It fixed the problem for awhile but now the unit is starting to cut out again. I drove from Tupelo, MS to Memphis, TN (1hr and 20min drive) Friday and my A/C was cutting out the whole trip. Which isn't fun when it's 90 degrees outside..:(

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Well after you said that I forgot about what happens when you stick foil in the microwave;oops:, so I went out to my car and pulled it out. Mine gets way to hot and it shorted my stock A/C unit out so I bought a new one. It fixed the problem for awhile but now the unit is starting to cut out again. I drove from Tupelo, MS to Memphis, TN (1hr and 20min drive) Friday and my A/C was cutting out the whole trip. Which isn't fun when it's 90 degrees outside..:(
Thurs. and Fri. here in NY were so bad, my SID said 102 in the shade. My A/C is usually freezing, those 2 days it was struggling to keep up. So I feel your pain driving in the heat sux. When you said the heat behind the unit I got to thinking, maybe the heat is affectin the plug and socket behind the A/C panel. The pins may get to hot then expand, and contract when they cool down. Then the connection would appear to be intermittant. Maybe pull your hose off the glovebox for cooling it, and let it hang out behind the A/C thus cooling it when your using it. Lol. Good luck bud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts