SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I know there are numerous posts in this forum about a/c repair. I've gone through many/most of them, and I'm realizing it may be a better idea to tell you my problem as I can't find anyone that has had the same progression of issues that I have.

I own a 2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t sport sedan.

A/C Repair History
04/11 - Took my car in because the car simply was not cooling. After a system recharge failed, I believe some hoses were replaced, Saab tried a few things before ultimately replacing the compressor.

04/12 - Car a/c stopped working again. At first it seemed like the driver side was cooler than the passenger side, but then the entire car became warm. Saab diagnosed this problem as a tiny pinhole in the condenser. I believe my repair papers said that they did a system recharge but Saab claims they did not.

05/12 (2wks later) - The a/c stopped working again and was taken into the shop. Saab claims that the issue is that there was something in the system that needed to be flushed out or some residue from the condenser and that the system was blowing out "ice cold". They also replaced a valve.

05/12 (1 mile later) - I drove the car 1mile from the shop and it was blowing out warm air throughout the car. I immediately returned with the car and let the service department sit inside to see that it wasn't "ice cold". 5 days later the saab tech at the dealership claimed that the problem is electronic, and NOT the actual a/c. Tech claimed I need a new sid panel that mine is malfunctioning. Part ordered.

05/12 (2wks later) - New sid panel came in. Panel was dead on arrival. New panel ordered.

06/12 - New panel arrived and was put in however after being replaced the same problem existed: Car cooled down for about 5 minutes before blowing out warm air throughout the entire car again. (both driver and passenger side blows out warm air)

So that's where we are now. Back to square one. Had to keep my car at the dealership overnight, and I have absolutely ZERO faith that they know what they're doing. I feel like they're just guessing at this point.

After hearing this history, is there anyone out there that feels they have a better idea than the Saab technician? I'm desperately seeking help.

If you have any idea, please chime in!

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts
welcome back,6.5 yrs between posts..:)

have they checked the low pressure switch is working correctly..if this is faulty even though the system is full,it could be saying there isn't enough refridgerant in the system so shutting the a/c down..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome back,6.5 yrs between posts..:)

have they checked the low pressure switch is working correctly..if this is faulty even though the system is full,it could be saying there isn't enough refridgerant in the system so shutting the a/c down..
Aerojon - thanks for the warm welcome back & the response. I have been lurking on the boards for the last 6 years, but haven't posted in a while!

Would it be the low pressure switch even if there is plenty of air coming from the vents (it's just warm).

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm going to venture a guess here (I know you've had a lot of those), but it sounds to me like a faulty cabin air temp sensor. The car begins cooling, but then "thinks" the temp is too low, so it shuts down the a/c compressor. Do you have the manual or auto ACC unit?

Also, did they replace the clutch unit on the compressor? If the clutch failed to engage after a few minutes, it would cause a similar problem.

Hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts
the air flow speed coming from the vents is nothing to do with the a/c that is controlled by the cabin fan..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to venture a guess here (I know you've had a lot of those), but it sounds to me like a faulty cabin air temp sensor. The car begins cooling, but then "thinks" the temp is too low, so it shuts down the a/c compressor. Do you have the manual or auto ACC unit?

Also, did they replace the clutch unit on the compressor? If the clutch failed to engage after a few minutes, it would cause a similar problem.

Hope that helps!
I am planning on printing these responses out and taking them to Saab. So no guess is a bad guess at this point.

I'm not sure if I have manual or auto ACC. I am very bad with cars, as you can probably tell. How would I know?

As for the compressor, I was just told that they replaced the entire compressor. I guess I'll find out later when they call to tell me what they GUESS is the problem.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
This is similar to the issue plaguing my AC.... Starts out fine then starts blowing warmer moister air... It's been in a half dozen times, had the Compresser, Condensor and High Pressure sensor replaced... they couldn't fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is similar to the issue plaguing my AC.... Starts out fine then starts blowing warmer moister air... It's been in a half dozen times, had the Compresser, Condensor and High Pressure sensor replaced... they couldn't fix it.
So the outcome was just "Sorry, dude! Hope you like the warmth! Here's your car."?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
So the outcome was just "Sorry, dude! Hope you like the warmth! Here's your car."?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Well they pretty much replaced every part under Warranty, this was a very good shop too.. Saab Dealer only for over 30 years. An Indy tried to cure it also, I've found after a couple of restarts it says on.... but it's a PITA pulling over to restart 2/3 times until it holds...

No codes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

Just and update for any of you interested. The saab service center contacted GM engineering to discuss the entire situation. GM suggested that the compressor be replaced again! So that's what's happening now. Part was ordered and they should put it in tomorrow morning.

Think this will be the answer?!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but my AC issue sounds very similar and I am hoping to find some answers here.

My AC worked perfectly until a few days ago and now it only blows cold air from the driver side vent. All other vents are warm.

Makes me think that it might be related to the air distribution system and I've read a number of posts on the same issue, but none have provided a solution.

·
Registered
435 Posts
So you have the auto acc. There should be a temp sensor in the cabin to keep the temp you programmed (as it appears on the display). That would be my guess, assuming the new compressor doesn't take care of it. The clutch assembly apparently is part of the compressor unit, so it should have been changed already.

Hope that works!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
In my old 9-3 (99) my compressor was working fine, but it was a thermal switch of some sort which was faulty and would trip after the A/C was working for only a few seconds. You'd get freezing air and then that humid air you guys are talking about. I can't remember what the switch was but it was internal to the compressor I believe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cooling fan

Your problem sounds similar to mine. At first I thought my compressor was bad but found that one of my cooling fan fuses was blown. (Engine fuse panel - maxi fuse #36) After I replaced it my AC would blow cold again. My fuse keeps blowing though and the cabin returns to just blowing warm air. My next move is to replace the cooling fan. I don't mind working on my car but my slaab is just getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Blend motor

Hi there, I have the same problem where there is cool air coming from the drivers side but warm/hot air from every where else. I have read that in a lot of 9-5's that it is the blend motor (ie actuactor motor, air mixture door)
This is what mixes the hot air with the cold air to get the right cabin temperature.

I've found a lot of motors that are part of the ACC system so I am not sure which one to order. I am afraid to take it to the dealer... we only have one here in Jax and I am just not that confident in their ability.

Anyone have experience with the blend motor or part numbers.

One can assume that it is not the blend for the defroster but rather the left or right blend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts