SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i just got my car back from the 150k service, and i wish recharging the a/c had been on my to-do list. it needs to be done again, and this will be the third time. i'm not bothered by it much since i usually put the top down on days that i would otherwise use the a/c, but there are those few days where it's too wet (today) or too hot. my mechanic said it could be something that's just cheaper to not attempt to fix and continue recharging the system. as best as i can tell, it works fantastically until the one day at the beginning of the summer that i realize nothing works. put some freon in the system, and i'm good for the rest of the summer.

i'm supposing a really slow leak, but where? the better question: would it be worthwhile repairing? i did just have the top readjusted, so maybe i would be better off just continuing to use it even on the really hot days.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
This becomes difficult, we need to know the rate of loss and the DIY recharging cost as opposed to having it properly fixed, which can be costly.
Eventually she will have to face a surgeon and a diagnostician. :cheesy:

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
simply put, it's been once a year thus far that it's needed to be recharged. i'm sure i can find the cost from last time. it's been really quick to charge it back up both times, though air (yes, air) had to be dumped from the system beforehand the first time.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Check and make sure your radiator fan is working correctly. If not, the system gets too hot and over presurizes.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Check and make sure your radiator fan is working correctly. If not, the system gets too hot and over pressurizes.
An excellent point.
And during being over pressurized, the system is liable to leak.
If a once a year addition of R134a works, then I'd continue, but if this changes to a monthly basis, then I'd find the leak, and shell out the coin.
Gotta luv that AC.. :cheesy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts