SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 9-5 blows good cold air on the right and not so cold on the left (driver's side) I would not call it warm air. (temp settings the same on each)

Thinking broken mixing valve shaft, I ran the HVAC diagnostic test (off & auto) result = 0 codes.

Then I inspected the mixing valve parts both the shaft as well as the arm. Checked the stepper motor, watched the operation without the air outlet elbow in place to be able to see it, seems to work correctly.

First time on the forum.....help!

thank you
Dave

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Stepper motor gear too out.
Push it back with pliers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mimmi
Just push on the hex drive end OR i am guessing - disassemble the stepper motor? Will I know it when I see it?

Dave

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
You have to disassemble motor from gearbox. Easy and you will know when you see it.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
I just noticed that you have 2004 9-5. It could have newer version and it has weakened hex tube between motor and lever. Hex tube P/N: 12765864.
Do not replace it with metal hex tube.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the responses, I will look over the info Doug has given and also make sure the pressures are up. Then I will report back.

Thank you
Dave

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
+22 on check the charge. I went through actually replacing the LH blend motor, which almost did in my back, never mind what it did to my patience. Didn't help.

TO ADD: I also had no ACC codes after calibration.

Shop checked charge--low.

The evaporator's gas inlets are on the passenger side. When the charge gets low, it seems that the cooling effect is all expended on the passenger side. (We're talking LHD here of course).

Note that the amount of charge should be checked by a machine that evacuates the system, and then recharges by weight. You might get lucky with home gauges and R-134a recharge cans....or maybe not.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
“The evaporator's gas inlets are on the passenger side. When the charge gets low, it seems that the cooling effect is all expended on the passenger side. (We're talking LHD here of course).”

Thats a revelation. I’ve found mine seems to chuck out cooler air, by a couple of degrees C, on the passenger side (RHD). I understand the whole HVAC system is reversed according to LHD/RHD.

Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was it! The charge was low! Now we are ready for summer!

Thank you all for your help
Dave

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
The clues that it may be a low refrigerant charge, rather than something more serious, would be the following:

1. No codes on ACC calibration
  2. Temperature of vents on LH does change based on ACC temp setting, up to full hot, but
  3. LH vents don't get as cold as centre vents, which don't get as cold as RH vents, when running A/C
I suppose a further test would be to turn ECON on, then run the ACC temp down well below that of the interior. If all vents are at approximately the same temperature (as the outside temperature, of course) that shows that the blend flaps on the LH side are indeed closing off all heat. It's just that with the A/C on, the evaporator is not supplying cold enough air to the left side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts