SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so its a very hot day here, and the a/c never really cooled the car down. It wavered between outright hot air blowing and mildly cool air. The hot air coming out might have been slightly cooler than the air temp outside.

I could see if it just blew hot air or cold air, but why go back and forth? I just had the 60k mi service, so they were supposed to check the freon (or equivalent).

Is there some kind of electrical switch that might open the vent?

·
Banned
213 Posts
i just went through some a/c hell this summer and did a whole lot of reading of old posts on here; i'll save you the pain of searching cause there is a lot of (sometimes redundent) stuff out there on a/c.

i assume that if your air temp is intermittent then you might have a slight leak in your R134a (thats what replaced freon after 1994). since your a/c compressor, low pressure switch, a/c button, reciever/dryer all should be funtional if your getting anything from the a/c system then i would think one of your hoses is leaking the R134a refridgerant. go to wal mart and pick up a recharge can with a gauge on it, they are like $20. before adding refridgerant to the compressor (instructions are on the can) make sure your pressure gauge reads in the green or blue, anything too high will cause some damage. also keep in mind that the pressure gauge is relitive to the ambient temp outside. if its 90 or 100 degrees outside then figure the gauge is reading lower than the pressure actually is, but not by much - just dont over fill.

i think jezzadee from the 900 forum has some good a/c tips too, PM him and ask him, or just search for some of his posts. he mentions stuff about temp cut off switches and pressure switches, i havent had time to look too closely at any of those.

finally i know that our cars are a little different but i would assume that these problems are common on all a/c systems. good luck and stay cool. put that top down!! i wish i had one.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yeah, it's almost too hot to do anything outside during the day right now. Of course it's worse in other parts of the country but Atlanta gets hot enough.

Note that you might find more answers about the 2002 in the other forum.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Snaabvertible said:
I just had the 60k mi service, so they were supposed to check the freon (or equivalent).
Make sure your electric fans (for the radiator) come on as soon as you turn on the A/C. Assuming they checked your coolant high/low pressures recently I would not expect a leak. Of course, anything is possible.

If the fans seized or the fan relays went bad your A/C might cool the car adequately at highway speeds until it gets really hot out.

If you have a leak, you're screwed for a while. They'll recharge with R134a and dye (and charge you $$ for both). That'll leak out. Then you go back and they fix it (and you pay again)! Standard procedure.

·
Banned
213 Posts
ctrlz said:
They'll recharge with R134a and dye (and charge you $$ for both). That'll leak out. Then you go back and they fix it (and you pay again)! Standard procedure.
a/c guys are crooks... check your local auto parts store or go to http://www.partsamerica.com and look for a/c tools and chemicals, alot of the expensive testing can be done your self for a whole lot less than the shop. alot of a/c work like checking for leaks, testing components and recharging is pretty easy if you have the know how; i didn't know much of anything about a/c until i started to read about it on here.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
PHAT_joe said:
a/c guys are crooks... check your local auto parts store
For small leaks (like a pinhole in a condenser runner) you're gonna have to get pretty lucky without a dye/UV light setup.

A parts store testing rig (gauges) is helpful only if you have a pretty good working knowledge of troubleshooting A/C. If you have a small leak you are living with, it can also help. But if you don't really want to bother getting into this, I recommend referring the problem to "the crooks."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Pros

I broke down and took in to my mechanic. They tried a couple of things and eventually fund the high pressure line had very little pressure to it. They evacuated it and re-charged it. So right now, it works. They said they looked for leaks, but I doubt they can be certain.

Let's hope that worked. At least I have cool air for a while.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts