SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I get in my 2002 9-5 wagon and start the car the a/c automatically comes on. How do you turn this feature off. It always comes on by itself and is annoying.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Every time I get in my 2002 9-5 wagon and start the car the a/c automatically comes on. How do you turn this feature off. It always comes on by itself and is annoying.
Press and hold ECON button. It's not the perfect solution but if I recall correctly, it will change the AC to only operate at higher temp differences between the cabin and the outside.

·
Registered
424 Posts
handbook:
Programming I
Manual selections can be programmed into the ACC system so that
these will take effect when the car is started. Note that the ignition
must be switched off for at least ten minutes after programming for
the selections to be saved in the system’s memory.
1 Make sure the ignition is ON.
2 Select the desired settings.
3 Press "off" and "rear window heater", simultaneously
(the display will flash to confirm that the settings have been
recorded).

simply switch it to econ, program it as described above and it will always start in Econ mode without AC.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yep. Page 83 or thereabouts.

Bearing in mind that running the air con compressor constantly (or at least most of the time) has benefits for the life of the rubber seals and general dryness in the car, consider programming it so it comes on automatically but at a higher temp that suits you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
handbook:
Programming I
Manual selections can be programmed into the ACC system so that
these will take effect when the car is started. Note that the ignition
must be switched off for at least ten minutes after programming for
the selections to be saved in the system’s memory.
1 Make sure the ignition is ON.
2 Select the desired settings.
3 Press "off" and "rear window heater", simultaneously
(the display will flash to confirm that the settings have been
recorded).

simply switch it to econ, program it as described above and it will always start in Econ mode without AC.
THANKS for the quick reply. I'll give it a try. It's just annoying when you start the car and it blast air and the compressor comes on when you are trying to start the car. You would think it would default to off after turning the car off. I rather wait for the car to warm up before turning any a/c or heat on. But I think it is amazing the car is so smart that it sense the windshield needs de-iced and turns on the defrost, front and back. Pretty cool if you ask me. These cars where way ahead of their time. Now if I just can get my blend door to work right.....

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Look in the owner's manual for Programming I and II.

You can set any number of non-auto preferences that always come on automatically. I usually have ECON, and in summer I restrict the fan speed to two bars (to avoid the tornado immediately after startup). That's Programming I.

Programming II lets you set things like minimum temp for A/C, whether rear defrost is on automatically, etc. I know that the automatic rear defrost can be toggled simply by pressing and holding the defrost button for a bit, until there's a beep and SID acknowledges.

Be happy, the '06-up cars can't turn off A/C by default.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Look in the owner's manual for Programming I and II.

You can set any number of non-auto preferences that always come on automatically. I usually have ECON, and in summer I restrict the fan speed to two bars (to avoid the tornado immediately after startup). That's Programming I.

Programming II lets you set things like minimum temp for A/C, whether rear defrost is on automatically, etc. I know that the automatic rear defrost can be toggled simply by pressing and holding the defrost button for a bit, until there's a beep and SID acknowledges.

Be happy, the '06-up cars can't turn off A/C by default.
So true on the 0-6-up 9-5's. It's become an ingrained habit to turn the key to the right, turn off the A/C so the light is green, then start the car.

Another thing I don't like on the SAAB cars is requirement that the A/C/ compressor needs to be on to defrost the windshield properly. With a few people in the car, it's ridiculous to have the expense of running the A/C on days when the defroster is required.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
So true on the 0-6-up 9-5's. It's become an ingrained habit to turn the key to the right, turn off the A/C so the light is green, then start the car.

Another thing I don't like on the SAAB cars is requirement that the A/C/ compressor needs to be on to defrost the windshield properly. With a few people in the car, it's ridiculous to have the expense of running the A/C on days when the defroster is required.
It's not just Saabs that do that. Most cars default to A/C on when you set defog/defrost. The reason is simple. A/C is a dehumidifier, so the fastest way to defog/defrost is to remove the humidity/condensation build up. I remember back in the day in my buddies '88 Grand Am SE wondering why when the A/C was off (little snowflake symbol) it would light up as soon as defog/defrost was activated, same in my other buddies Ford Tempo, Pontiac Trans AM, Pontiac Bonneville, Buick Grand National, Chrysler Daytona, Plymouth Laser, JEEP Grand Cherokee and others.
This has been the system dating back to at least the 1980's and up. They don't give you the Saab Mega Blast of air, but the functionality of dehumidifying is still done via the A/C.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Never knew...thought it was just a SAAB quirk. My 1991 Toyota Cressida had the worst defroster. I bet it was because it didn't automatically use the A/C on to defrost. Wish that I would have known.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts