SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a heck of a time finding an r134 high side adapter for my 92 saab. Nothing seems to fit or look right.

I replaced the combo hose with one from eeuroparts. My old hose had no fittings - the new one has them on both lines. However the line going to the condensor is not the same high side fitting as the one on the compressor....

Anyone have any info? Thanks.

Yes I know that it is not required for simply charging....

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
if the system lost vacuum and r-12 has been in there before it is essential to rid the system of all old oil. an evacuaition is key, my best suggestion is to take the car in, the whole procedure it not that expensive and there are many risks dooing it yourself. my 3 cents anyways(canadian)

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is exactly what I am doing -- which is why I am looking for the high side adapter.... My local shop here has the machine that will do this properly - I just need the high side adapter.....

I see the kit on thesaabsite comes with the 1/4" high side adapter and 3/16" - the local NAPA had a 1/4 that didn't fit and is getting the smaller one tomorrow. So I guess I'll see.

Don't understand what the deal is with the screwy port on the hose to the condensor is tho. It actually looks identical to the low side port, is it supposed to be like that?

Nice response time ;)

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
a decent shop should have all the equipemnt to do this! the proceedure and parts are common to many other cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
When you convert a car to 134 you are supposed to permanently install converters on the high and low side port. You can buy cheap ones at Auto Zone or Advanced Auto bagged for this purpose, then use them as temporary adaptors if you are using a 134A gaugeset with R12, or other equally devious things.

woywitka said:
a decent shop should have all the equipemnt to do this! the proceedure and parts are common to many other cars.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
woywitka said:
a decent shop should have all the equipemnt to do this!
I really do appreciate your assistance guys but these aren't really answering my question. I understand the ac system, done all my homework. I have left out details (such as what the shop is doing and what I am doing) that are really irrelevant to my original question so I understand your confusion in the advice your trying to give. I'm not looking for advice on how to convert the system properly.....

All I'm asking is about the high side adapter and if its unique and where to get it. I did check advance auto but they just had the same adapter I already have which does not fit....

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slindo said:
When you convert a car to 134 you are supposed to permanently install converters on the high and low side port. You can buy cheap ones at Auto Zone or Advanced Auto bagged for this purpose, then use them as temporary adaptors if you are using a 134A gaugeset with R12, or other equally devious things.
Thanks man, I will check again there but don't think they have the one i need.

I will probably just stick with the adapters and leave em on.

I am curious those that have bought the combo hose kit from eeuroparts, have u used both the high side and low side fittings on these? Or the ones on the compressor....

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 3/16" high side adapter napa ordered for me fit on the compressor so looks like I am good to go :) Still don't understand what the deal is with the high side fitting on the new combo hose but I guess it doesn't really matter. Must be nobody uses the high side adapter.... I think I am gonna see if the low side adapter I have fits on there just cause I'm curious, it looks identical - maybe the hose I have is a screw up.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The only fitting I've found for converting to R-134a is the low-side one for the compressor. It's the one you use for charging the system, and for checking if it's full with a pressure gauge. If that's all you need to do, this fitting is all you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts