SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to leave my a/c and just use the shorter belt, does anyone know what size belt to use or the part number from a local autoparts store? i cant wait for the shipping from pfs.com

·
Registered
595 Posts
NAPA 25-060716. I still have this belt in my trunk. I used it this summer when my 99 9-3 launched its compresser. Got a used compresser unit from e-bay a few weeks later. It worked well.

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is the shortbelt mod the way to delete the a/c compressor? anyone have any tips or anything. I am attempting this tomorrow. reason being my intercooler piping needs to be redone and I want to get rif of the a/c since i dont use it ever.

·
Registered
595 Posts
This belt number will delete the a/c compressor and the problematic middle pulley. I've been told that the 900 tensioner pulley is larger than the 9-3 tensioner pulley, so you might need a slightly larger belt.

Good Luck,
Eric

your results may vary

·
Registered
933 Posts
I used that belt on a 1998 Se, and it does not delete the idler pulley. It will delete the A/C, it also does not have enough tension and scweels the first ten minutes the car is on. I am going to bring it into the shop at work tomarrow and see what I can do about tension because for the first week or so it was fine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Eric in Lockport said:
This belt number will delete the a/c compressor and the problematic Middle pulley.

Good Luck,
Eric

your results may vary
Make that a slightly SMALLER belt. Take the 25-060716 number with you and buy the next one or two smaller belts, one should fit perfectly

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's what I was thinking of doing. I was just hoping he already had a right a belt number that allows you to bypass your A.C. but still use your center idler pully. I guess I'll have to do some seaching at napa. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
933 Posts
Floyd4321 said:
I have the same problem with that belt squealing, What did you do to fix the problem Corn Cob. Thanks
Yes I fixed it. It helps if you put in on the right way;oops:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I thought the belt was on the right way. I took it off and found it can go on a different way, The right way. No more squealing. Thanks corn cob for getting me to double check. I can fix and do about anything mechanical to these cars, but sometimes its the little things that get ya.

·
Registered
933 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
ok guys, how easy is this and what sort of results did you see?
It is easy if you look at a diagram and not do it from memory;oops: My A/C clutch was ingauging and disengauging when the A/C was off and causing a poor idle, so the result was a smooth idle. I would like to chuck all the A/C crap and put in some monster intercooler, plus I bet if you removed all the A/C stuff you would shave off at least 50 pounds.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's what I did. I removed all the AC components. It does open up a little more room and weight. Probably not enough to make much of a difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts