SaabCentral Forums banner

A/C Console Dark

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  EdT 
#1 ·
Hello, all, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a severe amateur, but this one is driving me nuts. About a year ago, I had my (now ex-) girlfriend's brother work on the 2002 Saab 9-3 that she gave me. He is a mechanic at... a chain, but unfortunately, he hated working on Saabs so much (it seems he injured himself every time he opened one up), he handed it off to another technician, though I did get the family discount. Well, 2k dollars of work later (though, without the discount, closer to 5k), it runs fine, but the section of the console that controls the temperature, fan speed, and fan direction is dark. This is after they yanked it all out to replace the heater core. The knobs don't light up, the numbers and temperature scale (the blue fading to red and vice versa) don't light, and it drives me nuts. Any thoughts? I've taken this part of the dash apart several times, as they managed to damage the gears behind this part of the console that actually turn the cable to the desired setting to reset them several times. On top of that, they also damaged the knobs themselves, but that is neither here nor there... I've ordered new ones, and I will continue to re-align the sprockets if need be. I just want illumination! I'm tired of fumbling around in the dark to set my A/C where I want it, especially with the knobs and sprockets in such a precarious state. The bulbs look good, and as far as I can tell, the harness(es) have been connected where they need be... I think. Hint: I think. Fuses are good. Thank you all for reading this.

If I've posted this in the wrong place, or there is another thread that answers this questions already, point me in the right direction.

Best.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yes, the possibilities are:

1. that the bulbs are all done
  2. the LCD screen doesn't work
I don't know how similar the ACC is to SID, but it's pretty obvious in the SID if the bulbs are working, it glows even with nothing displayed. If all the bulbs are out (which I have seen), it's possible to see that the display is showing something by looking at the screen at an angle with the right light.

Note to the original poster: the bulbs can look good but not work. You need to pop them out and check for continuity using a multimeter. I have handsful of SID bulbs which look perfect, no obvious issues with the filaments, but they don't work. (I pull them out of junkyard cars. My SID and MCC are lit up just fine. :cool:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.