SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had quite the musty smell in my car, and after inspection the condensation line is clogged and leaking under the carpet of the passenger footwell. I have found the bone dry end of the condensation line back by the firewall directly above the subframe, but where is the other end??? I already searched with my glove box out and the carpet pulled up in the passenger footwell with no success :(

I figure if I can find the other end a little bit of compressed air might coax out the blockage...

TIA,
Stalker

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I don't think you can get to it that way, not w/o a lot of trouble. The EPC diagram shows something called a "water drainage assembly" that you can get at from the engine side of the firewall, behind the rubber drain hose. Looks like it is straight in from there, but I have not tried to open it up.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Call the Roto-Router man !

Seriously , run a wire, or a facsimile, gently up to the evaporator thru the drain hose..
This should work...
Compressed air would only be effective from the other end..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
earthworm said:
... run a wire, or a facsimile, gently up to the evaporator thru the drain hose...
I agree, but one note of caution. When I was taking some power steering lines off a gutted 9-3, I noticed the drain looked different. Looking at the epc diagrams, turns out the drain is one of the things that changed in the HVAC system from '97 on. It is not a simple hose you can pull off any more. The opening looks like a slit. It may collect dirt more easily. I have no idea if you can just run a piece of looped coat hanger wire in to clear out the muck. (on the positive side mice and other critters will not get in that way any more... <chuckle>)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive got the first 2 pieces of the drain line off right now (the right angle with the slit and the connector thru the firewall, so the leak is further in the line...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Stalker said:
Ive got the first 2 pieces of the drain line off right now (the right angle with the slit and the connector thru the firewall, so the leak is further in the line...
Ooops!!! Did not realize you were looking for a "leak"!

Just assumed it was a case of condensation not draining, and the condensed moisture ending up under your carpet because it has no place else to go except out the lower vents... that would be fixed by unplugging the drain.

If there is a leak up the line that does not even let the condensed water get to the drain then you have to take the vents apart, and I have not tried doing that... all I ever had to do is clean the drain hose.

Someone else will have to chime in here!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we're going in circles :lol: I think the water is just overflowing because it is blocked. I am going to find a wire in a bit here and will post updates....

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
My two 99 cent books (Haynes and the parts book)show nothing in this area, absolutely na-na...

Maybe you can use a little air pressure to locate the leak/disconnection.
Do you think that a PO may have worked in this area, say for a heater core (aka matrix) ???

For the life of me, I cannot see how the drain hose/whatever could have been disconnected, nor do I see how it can leak..

Maybe, many, many years ago the car was sloppily assembled at this juncture...There is supposed to be a warranty to cover these cases; but I would think that the effects would appear within 3 to 5 years, if not 3 to 5 days !!

Last year I discovered a tad of green anti-freeze at the "second" or lower drain ( the elephants nose).This must be where the condensation exits the HVAC housing..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
earthworm said:
For the life of me, I cannot see how the drain hose/whatever could have been disconnected, nor do I see how it can leak..
I think he is saying above the condensation that should be draining through the firewall drain is coming out of the lower vents and ending up under the carpet (and also that I confused the thread... sorry)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So i tried using a coat hanger with a piece of cloth at the end and put it in the line (went about a foot in) then hit some object, but didnt seem like a blockage, and had a little give whdn pressure was applied (i chose not to apply more pressure :))

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I called M-N-M Saab (an indy in the atl area) and the 9-3 guy was nice enough to tell me what to do. Behind the glovebox toward the inside of the car there is a big black box (not really square) where the condenser is. This is what collects the condensation, but where the cover on the door side meets the rest of the box is a foam seal going all the way around it. This seal is the cause of the leak, and with a bit of silicone, its finally dry. Now its time to de-stinkify my car :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts