SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the A/C compressor clutch plate to service it? My compressor spins freely, but the clutch does not enguage with enough pressure to turn it. The Bentley manual does not give any information on this. I wanted to have some knollege before embarking on this little project.
Thanks
1987 900 turbo 16v

·
4,637 Posts
You need to test if the clutch coil is working. apply 12V directly to the clutch wiring and see if the plate pulls in with a sharp click. If so, try it with the engine running. If the clutch slips then, you could have air in the system which causes much higher pressures and can lock the compressor so the clutch slips. If the plate does not pull in, the coil is at fault.

Servicing the coil is a matter of pulling the clutch plate, the pulley and replacing the coil. To pull the clutch plate, you need to lock the plate. There are usually two bolt holes in the clutch plate to which you bolt a handle to stop the plate turning. Then undo the centre nut and prise the plate off the shaft. Now there should be a circlip holding the pulley and bearing in place. Remove this and prise the pulley off. It should be possible with a pair of big screwdrivers or you may have to go looking for a puller. Once the pulley is off, the coil should be held in by a couple of screws. Do not attempt to start removing seals from around the shaft or you will allow the gas to escape.

I don't know if it's possible to do this with the compressor mounted but, if not, you could dismount the compressor but do NOT disconnect the hoses. Just twist it around until you can properly access the clutch and pulley.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, I just printed it. I love my 900 and I love this forum. I am glad I found it. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts