SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, 2 years ago I bought a 2005 9-5 with "just a blown head gasket"
Long story short, after getting that repaired I had issues with a no start (turns over, no fire) condition and OBD2 communication and didn't touch it for almost 2 years.

Well a friend needs a car for her and her kids so, I decided to get it sorted out and started with the important stuff, power washing the carpet, lol.

While moving the seats I thought what the hell and tried to start and it fired right up.
Slipped going forward, dash was a Christmas tree with warning lights.

Given the car had 180k on it, I thought it was not unreasonable that the trans could be shot.
Didn't bother trying to flush or anything but picked up a used unit with 110k on it, put it in, and still very similar issue.

I determined that it could just be that the "limp mode" needed to be reset (I know, VERY long way around to try and find that fault).

Reset limp mode and then there was a no start.
So then I decided that there was no way around it, I simply had to have something to connect my T2 to or at minimum my dongle and Torque app.

Apparently someone had put the K line on pin 8, not 7, so that turned out to be super simple.

Then, I kept getting the "Wrong selection mode/invalid VIN for model" in the T2.

I connected Torque an got a slew of errors, cleared them and the only thing to come back was P1623 (ABS/ESP).

Car started (I haven't tried to drive it forward since resetting the Limp mode on the TB) and ran fine.

I then tried the T2 again and although I still go the "wrong selection" warning, I was able to access limited modules.

I was able to clear codes B2355 (Evap Temp Sensor) and B2480 (Intermittent Wiper Switch).

I then pulled the VIN with the T2 and the VIN on the DICE didn't match.

I ran this VIN and it comes back as a 2001 SAAB 9-3. Great.

I set the T2 to this model and was able to gain access, although of course it shows I am missing things like "soft top control". It also says that it can't contact the TCM. I know this was replaced, 2 years ago and I assume that it is because of different interface parameters.

In between most screen/operation changes I get a "no connection" error but after hitting OK it goes to the menu of modules, anyway.

So now, I am go into WIS and start looking at procedures to diagnose DICE operations and one of the first things says "intermittent wiper" operation, and that this failure is supposed to point to DICE issues.
Well, which came first, the Intermittent Wiper Switch code, or the DICE unit?

I also noticed yesterday that the cooling fans were not coming on (AC on or off) and thought this may be why the thing blew a head gasket in the first place.

I recall PO saying now that there was also an issue with the AC operation so this furthermore points to DICE unit to me...

So, could someone just have slapped a 9-3 DICE in there, and have it run or am I missing something, here??

It's a can of worms, I know, but if anyone has suggestions to sort it out that would be awesome.

I really want to get this car at a decent baseline for them, it runs fantastic, it's just this other "Stuff"......

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Well, I would start off by getting the correct ECU for the car. 2004-2005 9-5. Is this an Aero, Arc, Linear?
If you have an ECU from a different model in there, none of the communication will be correct between the various systems. Theft, AC/HVAC, various sensors, fuel timing, spark, fuel air mixture, DICE, SID etc etc etc. This is as far as I know. Maybe there's a way to program the ECU to a different model to match up with the 9-5? Either way, no sense trying to figure all the stuff out with the wrong ECU/programming in there. You'll just be chasing ghosts until the end of time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I would start off by getting the correct ECU for the car. 2004-2005 9-5. Is this an Aero, Arc, Linear?
If you have an ECU from a different model in there, none of the communication will be correct between the various systems. Theft, AC/HVAC, various sensors, fuel timing, spark, fuel air mixture, DICE, SID etc etc etc. This is as far as I know. Maybe there's a way to program the ECU to a different model to match up with the 9-5? Either way, no sense trying to figure all the stuff out with the wrong ECU/programming in there. You'll just be chasing ghosts until the end of time.
You know what, looking though the trunk I remember that we changed the DICE, before!

That would explain the incorrect VIN, it hasn't been married. I wonder if marrying this dice unit would take care of everything, or mostly everything?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just had it on the road for the first time and I noticed the speedometer doesn't work, either

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and sorry, it's an AERO, but in Arc ECM would work as well.

I remember now I got this DICE off eBay...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the car ran great, but was still showing the AT failsafe (Limp) mode.
Seeing as the transmission had just been replaced and that the DICE unit hadn't been configured properly, my plan was to sort that out and then go from there.
Drove the car home and except for the limp mode, everything seemed good.
On the way I shut the car off and the battery crapped out. It was an old battery and I thought for sure just replacing it would do the trick.

No joy.

Replaced with brand new battery, changed the VIN in the DICE unit to the proper one.

Only DTCs that were showing were:
B2355 Evap Temp Sensor Open Circuit / Short to B+
B2480 Intermittent Wiper Switch. Out of Range

Cleared the codes for good measure and, nothing.

When I put the key in and turn to start, I get the "ding" (key present), the dash lights come on, then go off and there's no power going to the starter.

I'm now also getting:
"No communication with IHU" (Infotainment Head Unit)
"No communication with ACC" (Automatic Climate Control)
"No communication with TCM" (Transmission Control Module)

In read/program modules I show only IHU as "missing"

I programmed the DICE to match vehicle.
Programmed immobilizer and cleared the subsequent B1782 that the T2 advises will likely be present.
Also present was B2385 (Key transponder missing), it was cleared.

I show the limp home solenoid relay as “OFF”

Frustrating to say the least, when 2 days ago it appeared that my only issue was going to be programming the DICE.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It almost feels to me like I am just not getting "enough" power.
It acts a lot like a low battery condition.

Not sure exactly where to start so, I began with power to the starter in WIS...that lead me to a dead end.

Condensed version:

Car was running, battery went dead, new battery, now no start (no crank, acts like low power condition)

Checked battery leads and they look good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts