SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 9-3 vert, and space is limited especially in the trunk.

My planned system is one jl 12w6 in a ported box, a sufficient amp that will power the sub and all 6 speakers which will also be jl, and a pioneer headunit and changer.

It turns out my trunk is very small. Has anyone ever done a 12 inch setup in the trunk of their convertible? Should i try to do something custom in the cabin? Perhaps the spare tire space would work but i dont want to sacrifice my ability to use my spare.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have an 02 vert but i am not really into boom boxes:cheesy: (too old) but i have seen a system that sits in the spare wheel which you could rig up with quick release connecters to allow it to be removed in the event of a flat. Some newer cars do not have a spare wheel to cut down on costs and space they have a sort of tyre repair gel that is inserted into the tyre in the event of a flat, you could use this method to free up space.Alternatively put bigger speakers in the rear quarter panels as i am sure their is a good bit of room at the back of them:cheesy:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automaggot said:
In my experience, subwoofers in convertibles don't help much at all. Once you put the top down, the bass just disappears.
Well this is mostly true, but a jl 12w6 is a serious sub. and if i can hear my friend's from like a block i think i can probably manage. but agreed a bunch of it will escape.

i actually have that tire gel, how many miles is it good for?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Space will be an issue

Yes the JL subs are known for large booming bass. From my experience being an installer, try TREO. The W6 will require a large box for the air movement requirment. The TREO 12" subs require less air for a very clean sound. I had 12W7's and went with the TREO very soon after gettin the JL's. If you want very good bass at high and low end with rap and alternative, with limited space, try a brand like TREO that requires less of a box requirment.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scooty814 said:
Yes the JL subs are known for large booming bass. From my experience being an installer, try TREO. The W6 will require a large box for the air movement requirment. The TREO 12" subs require less air for a very clean sound. I had 12W7's and went with the TREO very soon after gettin the JL's. If you want very good bass at high and low end with rap and alternative, with limited space, try a brand like TREO that requires less of a box requirment.
How could it be that two subs of the same size require significantly different box sizes?

And since youve had them both, which one was better. I can get discounts on both so im only interested in quality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts