SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pictures of the contact arrangement in a switchpack for a 5-door hatchback with sunroof? My 9k's switchpack has gone bad today and I pulled it apart, but when I've put it back together there seems to be a contact missing (for the on/off control switch for the rear windows).

The drivers window wasn't going back up (but it went down quite happily).

I've triple-checked and didn't find a contact on the ground near the drivers position or in the car (where I took the switchpack apart).

Fortunately I had a spare two-window switchpack for a 900 which enabled me to get the drivers window to go back up.

If I need to, I could try taking the two-window switchpack apart to salvage a spare contact from it, but I'd rather not dud another pack!

Craig.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Couple of Points: the Contacts location are fairly self evident... when on the worktable.
Cleaning the points is a temporary measure.
It is the Wear of the tips of the tiny grey spring loaded plastic plungers that is THE problem.
Contact burning is only collateral damage from the resultant sloppy contact.
Find /fit..New grey plastic plungers. Not the see saw contacts for a decent (longer lived) repair.

Later window switches, the ones with the lift tab design are far more reliable.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can later-design switchpacks be substituted for the earlier design? I don't know if the connector and wiring configuration stayed the same throughout all the years of 9k production.

My 92 2.1 C900 (200 km away from here) has a spare switchpack identical to the one out of my 9k but most of the switchpacks I see on Ebay don't have the sunroof switch, but a 'lock' switch, on the top row.

Here's a pic of the mid-section of the switchpack showing all the contact fingers (except one that seems to be missing, if I've put all the others back correctly):

flickr page

This one is a bit 'arty' but basically the same thing from the bottom looking up:

flickr page

Craig.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
:lol: Don't know never tried.
Buying a last production year 9000 solves Soooo many reliability issues.
Early 9000 s were IMO simply more trouble than they were worth.. from having owned several :roll:
Ebay (UK) has switch packs for ~25$ shipped.
But seemingly sunroofs were rare over there.
Get the rear door mounted switches from the Newest Saab you can find at a wreckers.. Low use /low wear.
Fit those (AND their less worn plastic plungers).. to the board in your photos. Should last the remaining life of your car.
Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've opened mine up before, the rate of pieces getting lost is incredible and when I put it back together the windows didn't work. IIRC there are small pins in the plastic switches themselves that can fall out very easily, check that they're still inside

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a spare, like new, switch pack you can have for $20 plus postage if you want it. Its a 'no sunroof' one, but the sunroof button can be transferred easily enough.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I don't know if you have lost interest in this project but I had one open for repair recently.

Here is a switch pack that has the rear window disabling switch still in place:

Apparently, the pivot also serves as the conductor that provides the switch with power:

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a similar used switchpack to get spare parts from and with that, combined with very careful filing of the contact points, I got my original switchpack into a workable state again so I can open and close the drivers door window. The drivers door power window switch is fiddly to get to work, so I think it's contacts are still not 100 percent happy. I'll need to pull it apart again at some point. Is there any sort of contact lube that can be sprayed/applied to the contacts to make them operate more reliably? BTW my flickr acct got deleted (again) by the fwit admins at Yahoo so apols for the original pictures being unavailable. Lost almost 10000 pics which they're refusing to let me get back. Craig.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I saved a couple. The one above that I marked up, and one other:

Those were beautiful images BTW, I wish my camera could get definition like that on close up photos.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Contact points Just like those on Old Skool distributors need to be polished with 400 at least wet 'n dry, then ..wiped with laquer thinners.. to remove polishing residue.
If not done their electrical contact can be sketchy.
Fitting the rockers onto their pivots is easy... there is only one place they can fit :) and they are all interchangeable.
Cleaning the contacts does work, but without fitting fresh plastic plunger activation pins, longevity of the fix.. is short.
Even your photos clearly shows the wearing of those plastic pin tips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the contact arrangement in a switchpack for a 5-door hatchback with sunroof? My 9k's switchpack has gone bad today and I pulled it apart, but when I've put it back together there seems to be a contact missing (for the on/off control switch for the rear windows).

The drivers window wasn't going back up (but it went down quite happily).

I've triple-checked and didn't find a contact on the ground near the drivers position or in the car (where I took the switchpack apart).

Fortunately I had a spare two-window switchpack for a 900 which enabled me to get the drivers window to go back up.

If I need to, I could try taking the two-window switchpack apart to salvage a spare contact from it, but I'd rather not dud another pack!

Craig.
how do you unplulg the cable connector

·
Registered
7 Posts
Contact points Just like those on Old Skool distributors need to be polished with 400 at least wet 'n dry, then ..wiped with laquer thinners.. to remove polishing residue.
If not done their electrical contact can be sketchy.
Fitting the rockers onto their pivots is easy... there is only one place they can fit :) and they are all interchangeable.
Cleaning the contacts does work, but without fitting fresh plastic plunger activation pins, longevity of the fix.. is short.
Even your photos clearly shows the wearing of those plastic pin tips.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts