SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a beautiful 1999 93 Vert w/ 130,000 miles. My first turbo, & didnt notice when I bought it, that the turbo is not working. Car will barely go 70 & is a "hard start". Will OBII codes tell me what is wrong? I am in a rural area & Saab techs are not plentiful here in east texas.I am starting to get a tad nervous about my purchase. I only paid 2,000. & the car is clean as a pin. I can't wait to feel the car run as it is intended. Folks mentioned a stopped up cat, but if that was so, wouldn't the car run hot? Any help appreciated folks, I am here for the long haul.Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Most auto parts places (like Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts) will read the codes for free. Take some paper, have them read the codes and list them here. Just get the codes and not what they translate to because some times the translated cause doesn't match up to Saab's P-codes... Ron

·
Registered
89 Posts
Blocked cat

Hi,
Just a note to say that I had a blacked cat on my car and it did stop me from boosting, although I didnt have any check engine lights.

From a previous post of mine:

Based on previous posts on here, I tested my cat last weekend. I had similar symptoms to you (lack of power, able to rev through the range at idle etc).
The suggested test was to disconnect the down pipe by about 1/2 inch (simple to do and only 3 bolts on my Saab) and then take it for a short drive to see if power has returned.
In my case, I noticed power again straight away. However, I am pretty sure the blockage is there, not further down the exhaust system as I have replaced the muffler previously.

Anyway, in summary, the test doesnt cost anything to do.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I have recently purchased a beautiful 1999 93 Vert w/ 130,000 miles. My first turbo, & didnt notice when I bought it, that the turbo is not working. Car will barely go 70 & is a "hard start". Will OBII codes tell me what is wrong? I am in a rural area & Saab techs are not plentiful here in east Texas.I am starting to get a tad nervous about my purchase. I only paid 2,000. & the car is clean as a pin. I can't wait to feel the car run as it is intended. Folks mentioned a stopped up cat, depends on the severity of the blockage, but if that was so, wouldn't the car run hot? YES, that is usually true, unless the cooling system is powerful enough to over-come this.Any help appreciated folks, I am here for the long haul.Thanks,
Steve
Sadly, do expect thousands in repairs...
cleaning is $10 plus $150, the best investment for the seller, but not the buyer...
First step
a major tune up
including all of the under-hood rubber - the heat there is hard on these parts.
I do not know if the codes will help...they are based on engine emissions, NOT on how well the engine runs...
130K miles ?
Repair records ?
If the CAT is original, replace it; many items at 100 to 150K simply wear out, including the converter.
Two others are the FP and the CPS, BUT these at this point in time are OK and not affecting the turbocharger.
CPS = crank position sensor
FP = fuel pump
CAT = catalytic converter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts