SaabCentral Forums banner

99-viggen trans in 99 H.O.T. ?(help!)

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  G96nt 
#1 ·
This weekend I was drag-racing up @ NED, and went a *little* overboard on one of the launches.

long story short, my trans is empty, and has big holes in it.

Back to the question:
is there any reason to upgrade to a VIGGEN transmission?
are the gears taller?
are the gears *stronger*?
Will I need different axles?
if I do this Will I need new hubs?

I'm sort of on a tight schedule.. I need the car running again, soon.
I found a ~60k mile Viggen trans, but I don't want to pay the Extra $ if it's the same trans, and no tougher.

Thanks Guys!
Craig R.

#4 ·
Glenna said:
I believe the axles are from the 9-5. I was talking to my local mechanic at SAAB and he said they were from the 9-5 and it was mostly the driveshaft and stuff that was beefed up. I will ask him though, if there is a difference.
This what I've heard too. The Viggen shares some of the tranny internals with the 9-5 Aero, as well as the thicker driveshafts...

I don't know if the tranny is an exact bolt up. When I mated my F25 tranny to the B205R engine, I had to grind down about a half inch of metal from the block to be able to fit it properly ...

#5 ·
sounds like I should just go 2L trans again, huh?
Do the bigger axles fit in the regular 9-3 hub?

just looked... yes they do.

if I can get the viggen trans and axles for under $700, I'm all-in.

there's a 23k mile 2L trans not too far that is $600

and a 50k viggen trans about as far for $600
if I can swing the axles relatively cheap, it'll be perfect!

#8 ·
Curioser and curioser...

Here's where the confusion comes in. The Saab-edu site says the 9-3 tranny was strengthened in the 2000 model year for the B205 and B235 engines, which are based on the 9-5 engines. So maybe all of the post 99 manuals have the beefier parts...

Transmission
An improved manual gearbox has been
introduced for model year 2000 which provides,
among other things, improved shifting
performance during aggressive driving and
greater wear resistance.....

A new engine was being introduced on the 9-3 for
model year 2000. The B205L engine replaced the
B204L in the 9-3. Principally, the engine is a
modified 9-5 B205E basic engine. Just like on all
"generation 4" engines, the engine management
system is Trionic 7.
http://www.saab-edu.com/brochures/tort_section_9_MY2000.pdf#search='b205l%20engine'

#10 ·
Mike, was that on the stock tranny, or have you done any upgrades to it?

#12 ·
the work is being done on monday

60k mile '99 9-3 trans and axles.
redline MTL 70-80, and "spec" stage 2 clutch and whatever pressure-plate nick sells with it.
I tried getting a lightened flywheel, but james is having issues with his machinist in CA, so that's a no-go. maybe I'll ask my transmission-shop if they can machine some extra material off.

Tomorrow, I'm ordering the 3" exhaust from Nick, and a new slave cylinder from Eeuroparts.com should just-about wrap up the drivetrain "mods"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.